Finder timestamp format

What determines the format that the Finder uses to display the timestamps for files (i.e. 24 hr time vs. AM/PM)?

My home Mac displays timestamps in AM/PM format. My Mac at work displays them in 24 hr format.

In both locations, the menu bar Clock is set to display time in 24 hr format.

The Finder does not seem to have a toggle for this in its Finder -> Settings... menu item, so I assume this would require editing a file to change, however I have no idea what file controls this.

Both machines are running a version of MacOS later than 13.1; my home Mac is running 13.5.1, and I think the work Mac is running 13.4 but I'm not certain.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 11:24 AM

Just wanted to make sure they were both on the same system.

The setting for 24 hr. is in the System/Control Center settings pane:

If it's already selected in the problem Mac then do the following: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2023 11:24 AM in response to elisatems

Just wanted to make sure they were both on the same system.

The setting for 24 hr. is in the System/Control Center settings pane:

If it's already selected in the problem Mac then do the following: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Sep 7, 2023 9:34 AM in response to elisatems

Thank you, this does appear to be part of the answer, but it can't be the entire answer. I found that I can make the Finder display timestamps in 24 hour format on my home Mac by selecting United Kingdom for my region. However, here are the settings in Language and Region on my work Mac (which displays file timestamps in 24 hour format):

Region: United States

Calendar: Gregorian

Temperature: Celsius

Measurement system: Metric

First day of week: Sunday

Date format: 8/19/23

Number format: 1,234,567.89

Live text on

No applications listed for customization

My home Mac had the IDENTICAL settings, yet it displayed timestamps in AM/PM format until I changed the region to United Kingdom.

So there must be something else in the system that determines the file timestamp format.

Sep 7, 2023 11:08 AM in response to Old Toad

At present, my home Mac is running 13.5.1, while my work Mac is running 13.4. I am not allowed to update my work Mac any further, but since this difference was present when I was at 13.1 (home) vs. 13.3.1 (work), system version does not seem to be relevant here.

And yes, that does appear to be the same Language and Region settings pane.

Finder timestamp format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.