Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder file naming convention changed...

On or about August 10, the file naming convention for my files changed. Specifically, the 24 hour format I had been using changed to 12 hour using AM and PM. Not my preferred time hack.

I still have the 24 hour clock invoked under System Preferences>Date & Time and that is working normally.

How do I changed file saving format back to include the 24 hour format?

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 6:24 AM

Try System Preferences : Language & Region : Time format [√] 24-Hour Time to restore this time format to your screen shots. It works for me on Catalina with the side effect of changing the menu bar date/time to 24-hour format too. You cannot have one without the other.

4 replies

Aug 18, 2020 11:54 AM in response to Low Country Man

I found something that might work for you here:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/353015

It worked for me on 10.15.5 and I do not have 24-Hour-Time selected.

In Language & Region go to Advanced > Times and change the hour dropdown in Medium from 1-12 to 0-23. You can also remove the AM/PM and change the colons to dashes, spaces or whatever you like.

My new naming convention is Screen Shot yyyy-mm-dd at hour-min-sec (e.g., Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 14-45-11.png).

Finder file naming convention changed...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.