An unexpected error has occurred. Please quit and reopen keynote

Running High Sierra on my elderly macbook pro has seemingly corrupted Keynote; it opens files but when I try to play the slideshow the error message "An unexpected error has occurred. Please quit and reopen keynote"

comes up. I have followed previous recommendations to delete the application and also its folder from the applications support folder and deleted the plist. Then I re-installed iWork 09 from the DVD and then run the iWork 9.3 updater. And still the problem recurs, rendering Keynote useless.

Any ideas anyone, please!

"

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 8:28 AM

Keynote version 5 and earlier is obsolete and unfortunately, those versions no longer work reliably. They might be able to be installed and updated but they will not reliably open your existing files or create new files.

Your only hope is to look at purchasing a later Mac with a suppoted MacOS to enable a later version of Keynote. Recent versions of Keynote will open all previous version of Keynote files.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2023 8:28 AM in response to norwichluthier

Keynote version 5 and earlier is obsolete and unfortunately, those versions no longer work reliably. They might be able to be installed and updated but they will not reliably open your existing files or create new files.

Your only hope is to look at purchasing a later Mac with a suppoted MacOS to enable a later version of Keynote. Recent versions of Keynote will open all previous version of Keynote files.

An unexpected error has occurred. Please quit and reopen keynote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.