Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Settings > General > About view claims I have 97 apps, the list of apps in Settings only shows 94 apps installed?

I was sent a strange link via text and opened it. I was redirected to instagram… but not immediately so im worried it loaded malware. Its not clear which apps are being counted in the “about” my phone section. Im wondering if someone can clarify where 97 is coming from versus the 94 that I know I intentionally downloaded. Also wondering if I back up my phone can I re install the operating software and use the backup without reinstalling malware…that is if there is any, I know iPhones are fairly more secure than other devices.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 11:45 AM

No if there was an app you had not intended to install (almost impossible) then it and its data would be reinstalled via the backup.

Backup, erase all content and settings, then setup from scratch with no backup restore is the only way out in that instance.

Make sure that before doing this you sync as much as possible including messages to iCloud, save to iCloud Drive, or export data to other da so im your computer. Biggest data loss will be social media like Whatsapp which has its own backup procedure

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2023 11:45 AM in response to stiletile

No if there was an app you had not intended to install (almost impossible) then it and its data would be reinstalled via the backup.

Backup, erase all content and settings, then setup from scratch with no backup restore is the only way out in that instance.

Make sure that before doing this you sync as much as possible including messages to iCloud, save to iCloud Drive, or export data to other da so im your computer. Biggest data loss will be social media like Whatsapp which has its own backup procedure

Sep 8, 2023 2:58 PM in response to stiletile

Only consider ditching your Apple ID for a new one in extreme cases of technical or domestic abuse. You will lose all Apple purchases and iCloud assets, Photos, Notes, contacts, Calendar, Keychain passwords etc etc This isn't one of those cases. Changing your Apple ID password is sufficient if in doubt.

Settings > General > About view claims I have 97 apps, the list of apps in Settings only shows 94 apps installed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.