You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi-Res Lossless songs in Apple Music suddenly go very muffled without any reason

I'm about one month into a three-month Apple Music trial and am generally very pleased overall with the quality of the streaming, particularly when playing via my MacBook M2 into an external DAC (Topping E30 II) and decent amplifier and speakers. This setup is well capable of playing Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless songs at their full potential. My internet connection is full-fibre with a download speed of 300Mbps, which is stable and low latency.

The problem is that some Hi-Res Lossless songs sometimes go rather muffled for no discernible reason. If I click a little further back or forwards on the track timeline, then the high quality sound is restored. This strange glitch is a problem that only happens with Apple Music. If I play other hi-res lossless music from my own files on the Macbook (e.g. through VLC player), this issue never occurs. Neither does it occur if I play music from my CD player's digital output into the DAC. The issue ONLY occurs when playing Hi-Res Lossless files on Apple Music.

There is a thread from about a year ago about this exact issue (Songs in the Music app will suddenly soun… - Apple Community, author gdutilh) but it never seems to have been resolved. So this is to let you know that this is still happening and to see if a solution can be found this time.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 4:44 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 10, 2023 5:01 AM in response to jsun88

Hi jsun88,

I have taken it up with senior Apple support people and we're trying to get it resolved. I have quite a few observations to make since the original post:

1. This issue only arises when the EQ within the Apple Music app is enabled. When it is disabled, or if I use a third party app such as eqMac, there is no issue.
  2. It doesn't just happen when using an external DAC. I have found the same issue arises when using Airplay to my AV amp (Sony STR-DN840) and even when using the MacBook's own built-in speakers. So it very clearly isn't an issue caused by external devices.
  3. It's not linked to particular versions of MacOS. I have the same issue on both my 16" MacBook M2 Pro and my early 2015 MacBook Pro 13" Retina. Both are using the very latest stable versions of the latest OS available to them.

At the moment, Engineering seem skeptical that it's an issue within the app (this was before I did further investigation using Airplay and the MacBook's own speakers). So confirmation that others are having this issue would be very helpful.

Thanks. :)

Hi-Res Lossless songs in Apple Music suddenly go very muffled without any reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.