Macbook Air Charge Cable has yellow spots.

My cable has yellow spots. One near the connector and three more going up the cable. I am a retired aviation mechanic and know that sometimes this can be an indication of overheating. My cable remains on an end table where I keep my computer. I don't let items lay on top of it. Some state that it is just cosmetic while others here state overheating. I would like to know what Apple has to say about it.

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 6:31 PM

Then you'll need to ask Apple as we are not Apple; just users like you.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 8, 2023 8:20 PM in response to migraywolf

Apple's cables are known to yellow, due to their construction which contains no PVC...the cable's jacket is porous and will absorb and retain skin oils from your hands at the area where they're touched the most. Lightning cables are also *very* prone to this. Once the yellowing process has started, there is no way to stop the yellowing and eventual destruction of the cable jacket.

There is a way to repair them (assuming only the outer jacket is damaged and not the internal conductors) by using white heat-shrink tubing but that goes beyond a simple explanation here. (Google it).

If you can get it replaced, do so as it will just get worse over time. If it's under a year old, try to get it replaced by Apple (take it in to an Apple Store)

Try Googling "apple cables yellowing pvc"

Macbook Air Charge Cable has yellow spots.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.