You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Got a hold of a Power Macintosh G3 AIO, it needs a lot of love. Currently not booting, need some advice.

Hello everyone,

Someone close to my town was selling a lot of things and surprisingly, on Marketplace, I found a G3 AIO aka Molar Mac! I remember specifically when my school (elementary) received their 2 units in 98!

I really want to make it boot properly. The personality card included is a Video IN/OUT and it’s a cool feature I would love to try on that gorgeous crt display.

Here are the details.

It powers on

Keyboard leds light up

Fans are on

HDD has its green light on and I believe there’s some activity.

Now the bad stuff

No chime/POST

Screen stays blank

No light on the front

Looks like a dead machine unfortunately. But I’m not giving up.

I’ve changed the motherboard battery, reset CUDA, CUDA button works too, pressed once turns off the unit.

I’ve also cleaned as much as I can inside and disconnected and re-connected all the cables, cards, and sticks.

Voltage regulator is not made by Royal.

What should I do next? I know this is a 25 year old model, but it’s a good one to save, even though so many people say it’s ugly. It’s truly THE computer that represents the transition Apple did at the end of the 90’s.

I hope we can save it!

Thank you!

Félix

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 11:07 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 9, 2023 11:02 AM in response to xilefeniotan

Oh, how time flies! I still have two working Beige G3 Mini Towers, one heavily upgraded.

Glad you mentioned the Royal VR—I'd forgotten that foible.

...reset CUDA, CUDA button works too, pressed once turns off the unit.

You need to do that differently. On "Old World ROM" Macs like the Molar, the proper CUDA reset was

• computer off
  • press and hold the CUDA for 20-30 seconds
  • release.

The important momentary press did not apply until the "New World ROM" Macs, basically those with logic board USB ports. The Beige G3 series was the last of the Old World models.

You've done almost all the things to try in a no-start situation. Did you physically remove the personality card and clean contacts before reseating? The P-card was the usual suspect in many startup failures. Secured only at one end and subjected to years of vibration, the unsupported end could work its way partially out of the slot and you get failures to start. It could also "act" seated even though the unsupported end was not fully down. It's worht a second look.

Do you have bootable optical disks? The 1/2 3.6vAA PRAM batteries are getting hard to find, and I worry that any still inventoried have died of old age. A Beige G3 will boot to a dark screen in the presence off a dead OR WEAK Pram batt. Do you have Bootable optical disks? I found yhat many older Macs would boot to an optical disk when they would not boot from the HDD due to battery issue.

Sound like fun stuff.

Sep 9, 2023 6:38 PM in response to xilefeniotan

I was hoping to get a response from you, most of the troubleshoot steps I found were from an old post from 2016 where you helped someone. Glad you’re here!

Thank you. Oh yes, I'm nothing if not durable. It was wanting to learn more about my Beige G3 MT that first brought me here about 2000. However, I suspect Jeff has the better memory! He's awesome.

Jeff makes a good point about the disks. Those models used System Enablers, small files that are specific to a model, and sometimes to a sub-model. There were THREE disks for the Beige series, on for each logic board revision. What appears to be a supported OS version but is the install/restore disk for another Mac model, it won't have the proper enablers. A full retail install disk does.

I hope Jeff can help my aging memory of these:

I recall the system install/restore disks for the Rev A Beiges were white, the Rev B and C were blue.

I recall the Molars, introduced later in April 1998, were Rev B and C only.

There is an on-board slot for VRAM. Base was 2MB; my G3/300 MT shipped with 6MB, the max for that slot.

I found an old MacGurus logic board diagram for the Molar:

PERCH is the slot for the personality card.

Sep 9, 2023 11:31 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hello Allan!

I was hoping to get a response from you, most of the troubleshoot steps I found were from an old post from 2016 where you helped someone. Glad you’re here!

The new battery is from Battery Expert. I should probably test it with my multimeter to see if it’s indeed alive.

For CUDA reset, should the PSU be turned on? I did it a couple times and it unfortunately didn’t do much.

I will try to clean the Personality card slot again.

I will be honest, this computer was from a smoking home and was almost ruined by nicotine and tar. Slowly but surely, it’s getting cleaner.

I also own a VAIO Tower from 1999 with very similar behaviour that didn’t access the BIOS, no beeps and no display. Different territory I know, but this one was also in a smoke home.

I wonder if the Power Supply is giving enough energy?

As for the boot disks, I wanted to try at least if I could see a question mark folder, or any other sign of life from the G3 looking for a bootable partition. I can definitely try to see if it’ll boot from the 8.1 disks.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sep 9, 2023 3:29 PM in response to xilefeniotan

In addition to Allan's suggestions, I think I should ask the obvious - is the ROM card installed? It's a tight fit, so if you removed it, did you reinstall it by pressing down firmly and make sure that it's fully-seated? I used a soft, white eraser (not a ball point pen eraser) to clean/polish discoloration from the gold-plated pins on all cards and blew off all traces of rubber shavings before reinstalling. I didn't attempt to clean the slots. Is the jumper at J28 installed across the pins marked MAC? The recommended procedure for resetting the CUDA was to first unplug the computer, remove the battery, disconnect the power supply cable from the motherboard, press the CUDA Reset button, wait at least 10 minutes before reinstalling the battery (observing correct polarity), and then try starting the computer. As for getting batteries, that same 3.6-volt ½AA lithium battery is used in alarm system components, so unlike the 4.5-volt alkaline batteries used in the old Performas, it shouldn't be difficult to find. It's best to buy from a large battery retailer that should (hopefully) have a rotating inventory. As a word of caution, exploring the upper portion of the computer to troubleshoot the startup problem poses the risk for severe electrical shock, because contact with the high voltage anode lead and/or flyback transformer can be a life-altering experience. If the OS 8.1 install disk that you have isn't the white or blue one specifically marked for the A-I-Os or isn't the retail version of OS 8.1, you will likely have problems using it as a source for booting.

Sep 9, 2023 10:08 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks, Allan. At this point, I think it's a collaborative effort when it comes to combining the minutia that we absorbed through the years. Tips like using EDO memory (rather then FPM) with a 2K refresh rate in a Power Mac 6500 have become arcane fragments of early-Power Mac knowledge that will likely never need to be explained again. Regarding your 3 points:

(1) Yes, initially the OS 8/8.1 system installation disks for the G3 desktop and mini-tower models were white. In early-1998, probably about the time that the Rev. B ROM was introduced, they began shipping 2 different "blue" disks, one for the desktop/mini-tower and the other for the All-in-One. This may have been done to avoid confusion with the white retail OS 8/8.1 disks. OS 8.5 was the latest version that shipped on a beige G3's "blue" installation disk.

(2) The Revision B ROM (77D$45F1) was released in February 1998, so unless an I. T. guy at a school replaced the motherboard and/or the ROM card in an A-I-O, it should have either a Revision B or C (77D$45F2) ROM.

(3) The onboard SGRAM slot accommodated ATI's 2 MB or 4 MB SO-DIMM, increasing the onboard graphics memory from the default 2 MBs to 4 or 6 MBs. In addition to requiring the Personality card with the DVD decoder chip, early versions of the hardware-based Apple DVD Player program required that the display for those G3s (primarily the mini-towers) be connected to the onboard DB-15 graphics port. That's when the upgrade to 6 MBs of SGRAM was worth the investment.

As for users who are just now experimenting with a 25 year-old beige or B&W G3, thanks to the Web Archive, the now-defunct section of Accelerate Your Mac's website - "The G3 Zone" - can be researched for the treasure trove of information that it provided us.

Sep 9, 2023 11:55 PM in response to Jeff

I’m incredibly lucky to have both of you on board for this project.

My first Mac was a G5 in 2005. I was aware of the Disk versions based on different hardware, but for someone that might stumble upon this thread in the future, it’s good to know.

I do have the 8.1 AIO Disk. It specifically says “for all-in-one computers”.

My new battery is indeed a 1/2 AA 3.6v. Currently waiting the 10 min to do another CUDA reset by the rules. I’m going slow also because this machine was filthy (more from the outside than inside) so the time I had these past days other than work was to clean the shell and the ADB keyboard.

I will keep you posted as soon as I have more done. Will also post a YouTube link with the computer’s behaviour.

Also, the eraser trick for the ram/rom/card/vram sticks is awesome! It did do a massive difference in color. Hoping it will also do good to my G3!

Got a hold of a Power Macintosh G3 AIO, it needs a lot of love. Currently not booting, need some advice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.