I need to use an old phone. I cannot remember my old Apple password or old phone number. How can I restore to factory settings

My iphone is not working because it was dropped. I am trying to use an old iphone. Unfortunately I cannot remember my old apple ID and password, or old phone number for authentication. How can I restore the phone to factory settings?

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 6:51 PM

You need to contact Apple directly for account recovery. Your device can be restored (cycle_tech is not correct), but you will need to prove ownership of the phone to Apple. You know the Apple ID used on the phone. You just don't remember the password.

If you are in the US, call Apple at: 800-MY-APPLE

Suggestion: Write ALL of your important passwords down in a notebook and keep track of them over time, so this doesn't happen to you in the future.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2023 6:51 PM in response to Trishag

You need to contact Apple directly for account recovery. Your device can be restored (cycle_tech is not correct), but you will need to prove ownership of the phone to Apple. You know the Apple ID used on the phone. You just don't remember the password.

If you are in the US, call Apple at: 800-MY-APPLE

Suggestion: Write ALL of your important passwords down in a notebook and keep track of them over time, so this doesn't happen to you in the future.

Sep 9, 2023 3:45 PM in response to Trishag

You won’t be able to restore the device and you will not be able to start an account recovery for the Apple ID unless you know that phone number that was associated with it, plain and simple. The device is secured by an activation lock so it cannot be restored. Does that make sense?

I need to use an old phone. I cannot remember my old Apple password or old phone number. How can I restore to factory settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.