You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NFC Touch detected. Check mobile device for connection.

NFC connection on printer HP Officejet 5746 gives this error message:

“NFC Touch detected. Check mobile device for connection.”

but my iphone is an 11 and supposedly always runs in the background. I have also looked at other solutions with no success.

NEEDING HELP PLEASE!

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 9:52 AM

1 reply

Sep 10, 2023 10:29 AM in response to cindi831

That’s some irrelevant printing feature supported by this particular HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One series printer. (The HP product names just keep getting longer and more complex and seemingly more random. URLs, such as that below, too.)

There seems to be a spot where some mobile devices can be tapped against the printer to print.

That’s not something that Apple supports for printing. Not without some third-party add-on or such, if then.

You’ll likely be using Apple AirPrint with this printer, and which does not involve that NFC printer feature.

Using AirPrint means you don’t need to install HP printer or scanner drivers (or add-on NFC apps?), too.

For the AirPrint setup, see page 25 in the following document:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04426664.pdf

For the NFC feature you are asking about:

If this (entirely unrelated to printing from Apple devices and Macs) printer hardware feature is misbehaving, check with HP support. They might know of a way to shut off this NFC feature, too.

HP has firmware update for this printer from a few years ago. Might want to check if that has been installed:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-5740-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617253/model/6670061?sku=F8B09A

And for completeness, if you decide to replace this printer: Which Printer Should I Buy? - Apple Community (TL;DR: one with AirPrint)

NFC Touch detected. Check mobile device for connection.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.