Remotely controlling an iPad on another WiFi network

How can I control an iPad that is on a different WiFi network?

(my 93 year old dad who lives in another state, has difficulty navigating the use of his iPad, I’d like to be able to remotely control it and call up apps for him, etc )

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 9:27 AM

iOS/iPadOS has no facility for remote control or remote management of the device. 

The best that you can likely achieve is to use FaceTime (or other communication platform) - and literally “talk-though” a problem; if you have similar hardware, and the same version of iPadOS installed, you should be able to work through a problem step-by-step.

When using FaceTime - and both devices are using iOS/iPadOS 15.1 or later - you can quite literally share and see whatever is on screen:

Make and receive FaceTime calls on iPad - Apple Support

Share your screen in FaceTime on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 9:27 AM in response to Eric-20

iOS/iPadOS has no facility for remote control or remote management of the device. 

The best that you can likely achieve is to use FaceTime (or other communication platform) - and literally “talk-though” a problem; if you have similar hardware, and the same version of iPadOS installed, you should be able to work through a problem step-by-step.

When using FaceTime - and both devices are using iOS/iPadOS 15.1 or later - you can quite literally share and see whatever is on screen:

Make and receive FaceTime calls on iPad - Apple Support

Share your screen in FaceTime on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Jun 24, 2024 2:29 PM in response to Eric-20

My Dad is a cognitively intact 99(!) years old in assisted living.

One thing that happens as you get older is that your fingers can’t trigger the capacitive touch sensor on the iPad, so a stylus makes it much easier for him to navigate.

I am trying out a tech-support app that allows me to control his iPad

so far, so good. I was able to find a movie he wanted to watch (Vertigo) and start it on his iPad.

Hope this helps!

[Edited by Moderator]

May 2, 2024 4:04 PM in response to Eric-20

There's another option available that allows you to remote to the iPad and actually see what the user sees, but doesn't allow you to control the device. The service isn't free, but it's very helpful to see exactly what's on the screen. You should look into "On-Demand Assist" from RealVNC.com. The user of the iPad needs to download the "server" app and run it, and the support person (who has paid to subscribe to be the "On-Demand" tech) can remotely connect and view the device.

-V

Jun 24, 2024 2:32 PM in response to jay@hotpathz

jay@hotpathz wrote:

My Dad is a cognitively intact 99(!) years old in assisted living.

One thing that happens as you get older is that your fingers can’t trigger the capacitive touch sensor on the iPad, so a stylus makes it much easier for him to navigate.

Knuckles also work with iPad.

Gloves, Apple Pencil assuming a Pencil-compatible iPad, and third-party styluses can all work here too, but that’s more parts.

If you really want remote control as did the original post here, an iMac is usually more easily workable.

Remotely controlling an iPad on another WiFi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.