How to make myself the organizer of our Family Sharing plan?

Confused. Can someone give me the steps. I need to take my son's ID, who is under 10 years old and make myself the organizer or our family plan. His father will stay in plan I just need to change to the main person rather than guardian/parent. Can someone give me the steps so I can make sure it is done right and verified. All of my sons devices are tied to this Family plan and I don't want to lose and his father want sot on stay in some shared items. Please reply. Or can I call apple to do this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 1:22 PM

To change the Family Organizer, you have to disband the existing Family and create a new Family group yourself.

1. Leave the current Family Sharing Plan. click here ➜ Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support
  2. Create a new Family Sharing group. click here ➜ Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support
  3. Invite your son's ID to it. click here ➜ Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support
  4. Your son's father would the need to disband his own Family sharing plan and join yours if he wants to, you would have to invite him.

Any Subscriptions that are shared by him will again be shared when joins your new Family sharing group, and any items purchased will be shareable on the new Family Sharing group.

Do note, with you as the organizer and Purchase Sharing turned on, you will be charged for any purchases made by anyone in the Family Group. This includes your son's father. He will no longer be able to use his own payment methods to pay for purchases or subscriptions, all will be charged to you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 1:22 PM in response to Jzsavage

To change the Family Organizer, you have to disband the existing Family and create a new Family group yourself.

1. Leave the current Family Sharing Plan. click here ➜ Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support
  2. Create a new Family Sharing group. click here ➜ Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support
  3. Invite your son's ID to it. click here ➜ Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support
  4. Your son's father would the need to disband his own Family sharing plan and join yours if he wants to, you would have to invite him.

Any Subscriptions that are shared by him will again be shared when joins your new Family sharing group, and any items purchased will be shareable on the new Family Sharing group.

Do note, with you as the organizer and Purchase Sharing turned on, you will be charged for any purchases made by anyone in the Family Group. This includes your son's father. He will no longer be able to use his own payment methods to pay for purchases or subscriptions, all will be charged to you.

How to make myself the organizer of our Family Sharing plan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.