Text Audio Notification Does Not Work When Screen Is Locked iPhone 12

For over a month now, I have not been getting text audio notifications when my phone screen is locked. When my screen is unlocked, or I am actively using my phone, I get an audio cue. Pointless. I need an audio cue when my phone is in locked mode. I have missed so many text messages.

Attached are screenshots of my settings. What am I missing here:

Thank you.

iPhone 12

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 6:57 PM

In the First Pic posted by you. The first part of the screen is not clear whether it is Immediate or Scheduled.

Have you enabled Scheduled Summary?

Settings > Notifications > [Select the App that you are having trouble receiving immediate notifications]

See the pic below for a few examples. Please select immediate delivery.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 6:57 PM in response to ifrmusic

In the First Pic posted by you. The first part of the screen is not clear whether it is Immediate or Scheduled.

Have you enabled Scheduled Summary?

Settings > Notifications > [Select the App that you are having trouble receiving immediate notifications]

See the pic below for a few examples. Please select immediate delivery.

Sep 11, 2023 6:56 PM in response to ifrmusic

ifrmusic Said:

"Text Audio Notification Does Not Work When Screen Is Locked iPhone 12"

------

Update Using a Computer:

Seems not to be locked, being you can interact with this. So, try installing an update. As the fourth screenshot reads: "iOS 16.6.1 (20G81) This update provides important security fixes and is recommended for all users." Have a Computer Handy? If so, try using a computer to update. Use my User Tip Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip. If any updates are availabe, they will install, sure enough

May 22, 2024 9:44 AM in response to AppleUser20yrs

AppleUser20yrs wrote:

This is such an unhelpful setting. What about those of us who'd like a sound notification on the phone and not on our watch? Is that setting somewhere, if it can only be on one? The entire point of setting down the phone is knowing I will hear a text come in, and instead I have missed many messages because of this.

Apple, fix it where the sounds are up to the user. A simple toggle option for each way to see and hear notifications should suffice.

You aren't speaking with Apple. This is a user to user only forum and Apple designed Apple Watch and iPhone to operate in a way, when your iPhone screen is locked, notifications come to your watch, not your iPhone.

Read this --> Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

It has been this way since Apple Watch was released about 10 years ago. As users, we can change nothing.

You are welcome to let Apple know what you think here, but don't expect them to change it --> Feedback - Watch - Apple

I am curious how or why you are missing notifications when wearing your Apple Watch? I have mine set to Haptics for Notifications and Prominent at that. I have the volume turned up for Haptics and my wrist gets quite a tap to let me know a notification is ready for my review.

Sep 11, 2023 7:02 PM in response to ifrmusic

There are three primary factors that trigger the automatic activation of the Do Not Disturb (DND) mode. Users have the flexibility to deactivate each of these factors based on their individual preferences.

1. Automatic Activation: Driving, Fitness, Gaming, Mindfulness
  2. Smart Activation: Work, Reading, DND
  3. Scheduled Activation: DND, Gaming, Mindfulness, Personal, Reading, Sleep, Work, Fitness

Elaborated below are comprehensive explanations for each of these three triggers.

1. Automatic Activation:

DND's Automatic Activation innovatively responds to specific contexts, improving user engagement and well-being. In driving scenarios, it identifies motion through GPS, accelerometers, and Bluetooth to ensure safer driving by silencing distractions. During fitness activities, it synchronizes with fitness trackers, ensuring uninterrupted workouts for optimal results. For gaming, it intuitively activates DND, heightening immersive experiences. In mindfulness practices, it triggers DND for focused meditation. Users can customize these triggers to suit their preferences, harmonizing technology with life.

See the pic below

2. Smart Activation:

Smart Activation introduces intelligent functionality by activating DND during tasks that require focus. When sharing screens, it suppresses notifications to aid presentations. During screen recording, it enables uninterrupted capturing. While streaming to TV, it elevates content consumption without disturbances. When mirroring screens, it ensures seamless interactions. This feature adeptly aligns technology with multitasking, streamlining interactions and fostering efficient engagements.

See the pic below

3. Scheduled Activation:

DND's Scheduled Activation empowers users with versatile control over privacy and focus. It accommodates contexts like work, exercise, reading, mindfulness, gaming, personal time, and sleep. By scheduling DND during work hours, users can enhance productivity. During fitness routines, DND preserves concentration. For leisure activities like reading and mindfulness, it creates tranquil settings. In gaming sessions, DND blocks distractions. This scheduling flexibility harmonizes technology usage with diverse lifestyle needs.

See the pic below

In essence, the integration of these activation triggers redefines DND's role beyond simple interruption management. It transforms the user experience across domains, from driving safety and focused fitness to immersive gaming and mindful introspection. With each trigger customizable to individual preferences, this innovation reflects technology's adaptability to enhance well-being and productivity in a digital age

Sep 11, 2023 7:05 PM in response to ifrmusic

Do you have an Apple Watch?

Where notifications appear

Notifications appear on your Apple Watch or iPhone, but not both.

If your iPhone is unlocked, you'll receive notifications on your iPhone instead of your Apple Watch.

If your iPhone is locked or asleep, you'll receive notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked.

Some apps, such as the Noise app, are only available on your Apple Watch. Notifications for these apps won't appear on your iPhone.

The red notification icon  will appear at the top of your watch face when you have unread notifications. If you want to hide the notification icon, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap Notifications, then turn off Notifications Indicator.

When you read or dismiss notifications on your Apple Watch, they'll also be also dismissed from your iPhone.

May 22, 2024 9:36 AM in response to SravanKrA

This is such an unhelpful setting. What about those of us who'd like a sound notification on the phone and not on our watch? Is that setting somewhere, if it can only be on one? The entire point of setting down the phone is knowing I will hear a text come in, and instead I have missed many messages because of this.

Apple, fix it where the sounds are up to the user. A simple toggle option for each way to see and hear notifications should suffice.

Text Audio Notification Does Not Work When Screen Is Locked iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.