Lost mode activated. I then updated message but now it says lost mode pending

I had my iphone stolen and i turned on lost mode. It took a few days for lost mode to be activated as the phone was offline due to the thieves having turned off the phone and/or not connected to the internet.

I finally got the notification that the Lost mode is now activated, but when i went in to update the message, the status changed to pending. The icon of the phone showing on the map still has the 'lost mode' as opposed to the black screen which was previously showing.

Does this mean the phone no longer has lost mode activated (it is back to pending), or simply that the updated message is 'pending' but the phone is still in lost mode?

Thank you!

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 11:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 1:55 AM

When Lost Mode is activated on an iPhone, it locks the device and displays a custom message on the lock screen. If you've updated the message while the device was in Lost Mode and it shows as "Pending," it means that the new message you added is in the process of being sent to the device, but the device is not currently connected to the internet.

Here's what might be happening:

1. The device is still in Lost Mode. The fact that you can see the device's icon on the map with the "Lost Mode" label suggests that it's still active.
  2. The "Pending" status typically means that the new message you added has not yet been delivered to the device. This can happen if the device is not currently connected to the internet. It may take some time for the message to be sent and displayed on the lock screen.

To ensure that your iPhone remains in Lost Mode and that the updated message is delivered, it's important to keep the device marked as lost in the Find My app. You should also ensure that the device has a chance to connect to the internet, either through Wi-Fi or cellular data, so that the pending message can be delivered.

If you're concerned that the device is no longer in Lost Mode or if you suspect any unusual activity, you may want to consider contacting your local law enforcement for assistance in recovering your stolen iPhone. They may be able to provide guidance on further steps you can take to track or secure your device.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 1:55 AM in response to lostpiggiek

When Lost Mode is activated on an iPhone, it locks the device and displays a custom message on the lock screen. If you've updated the message while the device was in Lost Mode and it shows as "Pending," it means that the new message you added is in the process of being sent to the device, but the device is not currently connected to the internet.

Here's what might be happening:

1. The device is still in Lost Mode. The fact that you can see the device's icon on the map with the "Lost Mode" label suggests that it's still active.
  2. The "Pending" status typically means that the new message you added has not yet been delivered to the device. This can happen if the device is not currently connected to the internet. It may take some time for the message to be sent and displayed on the lock screen.

To ensure that your iPhone remains in Lost Mode and that the updated message is delivered, it's important to keep the device marked as lost in the Find My app. You should also ensure that the device has a chance to connect to the internet, either through Wi-Fi or cellular data, so that the pending message can be delivered.

If you're concerned that the device is no longer in Lost Mode or if you suspect any unusual activity, you may want to consider contacting your local law enforcement for assistance in recovering your stolen iPhone. They may be able to provide guidance on further steps you can take to track or secure your device.

Lost mode activated. I then updated message but now it says lost mode pending

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.