Apple Mobile Device Ethernet Driver Error (Code 56)

I tried connecting iPhone to Windows 11 PC to make internet connection through ethernet hotspot, but it keep says "Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)" for Apple Mobile Device Ethernet network adapter. I've tried reinstalling the apple network drivers manually, reinstall iTunes, restarting AMDS, and updating the drivers for iPhone from Portable Devices from device manager. iTunes recognizes the phone well. Additionally, it seems that Apple Mobile Device USB Driver under Universal Serial Bus controllers is missing too. How can I solve this?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 7:50 AM

1 reply

Sep 14, 2023 8:44 AM in response to jkm1105

Hi jkm1105,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We'll be happy to see how we can help out today.

We appreciate you sharing all the steps you have tried up to this point, it keeps us from asking you to repeat things you have already completed.

Do you use any security software such as Microsoft Defender, a VPN, or anti-virus? If so, you may want to try disabling it to see if this helps.

Also, there are several sections found in If your Windows PC doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support that you will want to try following. And the first two we recommend are "If you don't see the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver or you see Unknown Device", and "If you see the Apple Mobile Device USB driver with an error symbol".

Reach back out if we can help.

Take care!

Apple Mobile Device Ethernet Driver Error (Code 56)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.