power adapter off

Why will power adapter not come on even though battery is fully charged and MacBook Pro is plugged in to power cord

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 10:47 PM

1-2-3abcd4-5-6 Said:

"power adapter off: Why will power adapter not come on even though battery is fully charged and MacBook Pro is plugged in to power cord"

-------

Troubleshooting MacBook Pro Power:

A. Black Mac Screen:

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Using External Devices: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

B. Mac Power Issues:

Try a New Charger:

If it is currently charging from a charger, then use a new charger:

A Few Links to Refer to Power:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 10:47 PM in response to 1-2-3abcd4-5-6

1-2-3abcd4-5-6 Said:

"power adapter off: Why will power adapter not come on even though battery is fully charged and MacBook Pro is plugged in to power cord"

-------

Troubleshooting MacBook Pro Power:

A. Black Mac Screen:

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Using External Devices: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

B. Mac Power Issues:

Try a New Charger:

If it is currently charging from a charger, then use a new charger:

A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Oct 27, 2023 7:55 AM in response to 1-2-3abcd4-5-6

This is an ongoing frustration for me.

I use my MacBook Pro 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports, with the power adapter while I have access to wall power. Instead of using the adapter for power, it drains the battery - even while plugged in. Then when I go out to someplace where I actually need battery power, it's drained. Today I sat down with a fully charged battery, plugged in my MBP and now it's down to 15% and I'm afraid the computer is going to turn off entirely soon - for no reason.

A: The computer refuses to charge the battery purportedly to protect its life.

B: The computer uses the battery needlessly when connected to wall power.

A and B are contradictory. If you want to protect the battery life, then why use it when wall power is available?

It should automatically use wall power when available, regardless of battery saving features, but could you at least add something to a menu somewhere as an override?

power adapter off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.