Apple MacBook Air 13" with M2 chip 2023 not printing to older Laser Printers

HP Color Laser Jet CP2025 manufactured in 2011, Driver 10.4 is "seen" but will not print from new MacBookAir 13" with M2 chip. Also, Brother monochrome laser printer, Model MFC-L2700DW, driver 4.0.8, manufactured in 2016, is seen but does not print. My MacMini, vintage early 2015, and MacBookAir, vintage early 2015, both running Monterey are able to communicate and print wirelessly to the HP Color Laser and print connected by USB to the Brother monochorome laser. I have spent time with Apple Support and Brother Support- beginning to think the M2 chip is not compatible with these older peripherals. Would like to verify this before donating the printers. I have tried to determine if I should have different drivers but have not been successful in finding different options.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 3:56 PM

Hi,

Brother recommends AirPrint for the MFC-L2700DW.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2700dw_us_eu_as&os=10077

Check that the latest printer firmware has been installed.

AirPrint means that an additional printer driver should not be needed in this case, provided that the printer and the Mac are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint works with wireless or wired network connections, so you could connect the printer by Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of the Wi-Fi router instead of wirelessly.

It may be a good idea to reset the printing system and try to re-add the printer (using AirPrint).

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

For some printers, a macOS 10.15 Catalina driver can be used with a somewhat newer operating system version as well, but that would be experimental. Mainly of interest for a USB connection.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2700dw_us_eu_as&os=10060

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 3:56 PM in response to Bev2022

Hi,

Brother recommends AirPrint for the MFC-L2700DW.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2700dw_us_eu_as&os=10077

Check that the latest printer firmware has been installed.

AirPrint means that an additional printer driver should not be needed in this case, provided that the printer and the Mac are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint works with wireless or wired network connections, so you could connect the printer by Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of the Wi-Fi router instead of wirelessly.

It may be a good idea to reset the printing system and try to re-add the printer (using AirPrint).

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

For some printers, a macOS 10.15 Catalina driver can be used with a somewhat newer operating system version as well, but that would be experimental. Mainly of interest for a USB connection.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2700dw_us_eu_as&os=10060

Sep 13, 2023 4:25 PM in response to Bev2022

The HP Color LaserJet CP2025 Printer supports HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5c and HP postscript level 3 emulation, so if nothing else works, you could perhaps try generic postscript or PCL printer software.

An HP Color LaserJet CP2020 Series version 19.13 driver is listed in the article Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support, but the HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update system requirements exclude macOS 13 Ventura, so everything here would be experimental (may not even open/install).

Sep 13, 2023 6:20 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan Hedlund wrote:

The HP Color LaserJet CP2025 Printer supports HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5c and HP postscript level 3 emulation, so if nothing else works, you could perhaps try generic postscript or PCL printer software.

I think that's what the OP will need to try.

The HP CP2025DN does not appear to support AirPrint. It is not on Apple's list, and a HP Community thread that has a reply by someone claiming to be a HP employee seems to confirm this. This Apple Community thread (possibly now dated) suggested getting a third-party AirPrint server, or using third-party software to turn an old Mac into an AirPrint server. But then you'd need an extra device, or you'd need to keep an old Mac around.

On the printer's HP support page, there's nothing there for any version of macOS later than Sierra. That's being generous. If you look at the release notes for the software package offered for Sierra, the latest OS they mention is Leopard (for Intel and PowerPC).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-color-laserjet-cp2025-printer-series/3673580

HP gives these instructions for setting up a non-AirPrint printer using generic PCL or PostScript drivers.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4037000-4037075-16

Sep 13, 2023 5:36 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks for your reply. When I was on with Brother, as I understand, which is tentative, we looked for a driver to use with AirPrint. We could not find it as a option. She said that perhaps Air Print was not enabled in the Mac. I contacted Apple Support-they said it automatically was enabled. Apple Support did help me download HP Smart something but it would not ind the printer- just the spinning circle. I will look at the the Brother iPrint&Scan app. Thanks. It just seems so odd for both printers, from different companies have defied a cumulative 6 hours of looking at by Brother and Apple Support, to not work.

Addendum 2 hours later- I found the iPrint&Scan Push Scan Tool app, downloaded it. Was not sure what to do with it. On a whim, I downloaded the wireless instal app- it walked me through. I think I got it installed. It said to disconnect the USB cord. I did. No printing. On another whim, I plugged it in and the printer made noise and cyled and PRINTED! Tried anothe doc and it printed with the USB connection which is what I have used previously. Not sure what happened and with continue to look into iPrint&Scan Push Scan Tool app.

One printer down, now for the more ancient (2011) HP Color Laser. Also to look at the rest of the very considerate replies. Still new to using this forum.

Thank you all. Bev

Sep 13, 2023 8:10 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank You for info on the HP Color Laser. This is a bit over my head but I do have someone I can ask who can run with this. It just might be time to invest in something current- 12 years is pretty ancient I suppose - it was made then but designed - I think earliest editions were early 2000's. I bought it second hand a few years ago. And it still prints from my old MacBook Air vintage 2015 laptop running Monterey as the OS. A work around is that I can send docs to that old laptop from the new laptop and print if I need color. From another respondent, I did somethings, that has allowed the Brother 2016 vintage MFC monochrom laser to print.

Sep 13, 2023 8:33 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you. Brother support looked with me to do Air Print but we what/where we were looking for the "?driver?" did not show and they directed me back to Apple to enable the Air Print. Apple said Air Print automatically was enabled. Another person here suggested to download "iPrint&Scan Push Scan Tool". I did that but was not clear what to do with it. I also, in the same area downloaded the Wireless Setup Wizard. I did and it installed. It told me to disconnect the USB cord which I did. No printing. I plugged back in the USB cable connection to the printer, sounds, cycling and it PRINTED! I don't understand what happened or what I did but the Brother MFC L2700 seems to now be printing.

Printer and Mac are connected to the same network. I have always had this printer hardwire connected- did not realize it had some wireless function. My usual Tech person has recently had a brain biopsy and is not up to doing computer work so I appreciate this groups help. I have a resource who can help me implement these suggestions.

Sep 13, 2023 8:49 PM in response to Servant of Cats

I don't understand all of the above posted by Servant of Cats but interestingly, my 2015 MacBookAir and my 2015 Mac Mini, both running Monterey OS were able to send signal to the HP Color Laser Jet P2025 and get print results. Guess I was fortunate as Monterey is OS's past Sierra.

When my resource gets back to me I will share these thoughts.

Thank you.

Bev

Apple MacBook Air 13" with M2 chip 2023 not printing to older Laser Printers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.