MacBook Air screen turns black and unresponsive if key is pressed during screensaver

I have an M2 MacBook Air. When the screensaver comes on after it is left idle, and I click on the trackpad to wake it up, it sometimes just turns into a black screen. The keys are responsive, and I can play music when I press the media keys. The keystrokes are registered when I have the pages app open as well. But the screen stays black and unresponsive. I have tried turning the brightness up, and it doesn't help. The screen turns on again after I force restart it by holding the power button. This doesn't happen regularly but happens only when the screensaver turns on. Is there a way to solve this issue? My MacOS is updated, by the way. Is there a way to reinstall a display driver or something?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 9:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 10:37 PM

Hi,

Try to startup safe mode, then normal boot could solve your issue.

Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, you'd better contact Apple Support or take your MacBook Air to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Air there before one year limited warranty is expired.

I think it's a hardware related issue.

Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 10:37 PM in response to Roshan_Raj

Hi,

Try to startup safe mode, then normal boot could solve your issue.

Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, you'd better contact Apple Support or take your MacBook Air to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Air there before one year limited warranty is expired.

I think it's a hardware related issue.

Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations

MacBook Air screen turns black and unresponsive if key is pressed during screensaver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.