Homepod 2 volume won't decrease all the way

I have a Homepod stereo pair in the living room with an Apple TV 4K (3rd Gen) but the volume won't decrease all the way with the remote. When we press the volume down button on the remote the volume bar appears and we can decrease the volume until the bar is empty but there's still very audible noise coming from the speakers.

What can we do to adjust this so that we have better control of the volume?

All devices are currently up to date (16.6).

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 12:10 PM

• first try to restart your Apple TV and Homepod - can be done with the Home app. If you don't see an option to restart, or HomePod still doesn't respond after restarting, reset it to factory settings. You can other wise just unplug them for 10 seconds to Restart.
  • When HomePods are set up as a stereo pair, you must ungroup the stereo pair before you can reset HomePod.
  • Reset each one by using the pressing the top method: Reset HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support
  • After you reset HomePod, set up HomePod again.

Before going through a reset & set up, you might want to wait for the next software release , coming shorty (might be next week). After updating the Apple TV, iOS device (used to set them up) and HomePods it may work.

You also might want to ensure your Siri Remote is charged. Also see: If your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote isn't working - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2023 12:10 PM in response to cpowell82

• first try to restart your Apple TV and Homepod - can be done with the Home app. If you don't see an option to restart, or HomePod still doesn't respond after restarting, reset it to factory settings. You can other wise just unplug them for 10 seconds to Restart.
  • When HomePods are set up as a stereo pair, you must ungroup the stereo pair before you can reset HomePod.
  • Reset each one by using the pressing the top method: Reset HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support
  • After you reset HomePod, set up HomePod again.

Before going through a reset & set up, you might want to wait for the next software release , coming shorty (might be next week). After updating the Apple TV, iOS device (used to set them up) and HomePods it may work.

You also might want to ensure your Siri Remote is charged. Also see: If your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote isn't working - Apple Support

Sep 15, 2023 11:02 PM in response to cpowell82

Sounds (!) like you have encountered the stereo Homepod issue - one of the Homepods fails to respond to volume control:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255077557

The sequence that I list at the end of the discussion has worked for me (happens nearly every day - I suspect when my Apple TV goes to sleep).

Apparently Apple is aware of the problem so a future OS update might fix it.

Homepod 2 volume won't decrease all the way

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.