How to fix 3 second audio lag between Homepod mini and Macbook Pro? All devices are brand new but yes I've reset them all.

This is a seemingly well-documented issue but Apple muted others' posts.

I connect my Macbook Pro to one of my brand new Homepod Minis (I bought two from Costco this week; Macbook will only connect to one at a time, which is super annoying but fodder for another post). The audio that comes out of the speaker is ~3 seconds behind the audio that would be coming out of my computer, meaning any video on my computer is completely unsynced to the audio. Sometimes it will randomly sync but then God forbid I pause the video because when I press play again it's unsynced. It only works when playing AppleTV using Apple Airplay, which I'm sure is by design and very frustrating. Apple: I already furnished my home using ONLY your products. I committed to your proprietary technology and I'm not cheating on you with Android or whatever, idk what more I can do to show my loyalty but how can your geniuses not figure out how to make your own tech talk to itself?

Lmk if you know a fix if not I'll return the Homepod Minis

HomePod mini

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 9:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2024 5:24 PM

Another formal answer not addressing the issue. It’s like talking to walls here. But either way, I did everything the formal answer recommended. Still not fixed. It’s clearly by design. I guess what the better question is…. what can you offer other than the formal response which is useless in this case (and in many others).

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2024 5:24 PM in response to Vancouver22

Another formal answer not addressing the issue. It’s like talking to walls here. But either way, I did everything the formal answer recommended. Still not fixed. It’s clearly by design. I guess what the better question is…. what can you offer other than the formal response which is useless in this case (and in many others).

Feb 19, 2024 7:02 AM in response to postingtodayprobablyneveragain

Ok, Apple deleted my previous post so I'll try to be more constructive: please, I want to encourage you to consider the possibility to enable a proper protocole so a Homepod can be used as a fully-functional Mac in/out sound device. As it is possible to do that with a simple bluetooth speaker with a single built on mic, I am sure that you can find the way to achieve it with the Homies! Your greatness will be even greater!

Mar 20, 2024 4:38 PM in response to Bannsnger

Yes, it eliminate the lag BUT ONLY in the music app. im using the homepods as speakers for my Desk Setup and the lag is AWFUL when conected directly in the control center. I also have syncying weird bugs where the sound just stops for a Second and come back. Sometimes i have the sound coming out of just one HomePod and you either have to recconect it manually or stop the playback. ITS REALLY A MESS.

Sep 15, 2023 12:19 AM in response to postingtodayprobablyneveragain

I’m not getting any lag on mine. All devices are updated to the latest software. Did you install the latest software on the HomePods after setting them up? Is your MacBook also updated? Is the iOS device you used to set up HomePods also updated?

Update HomePod - Apple Support

Also if you assign the minis into the same room (your choice) they can be paired to play to two. See: Set up a HomePod stereo pair - Apple Support.

Now occasionally there might be some lag in browsers or YouTube and the best thing to do when this happens:

• Reboot your wifi
  • Force quit the affected app on MacBook
  • Restart MacBook
  • Restart HomePods - restart it with the Home app. You can do this on your Mac and restart is complete once the minis no longer display a white swirling light. You can also restart HomePods by unplugging for about 10 seconds

Apple security releases - Apple Support to view the latest updates per devices. *Note: major updates will be forthcoming beginning next week.

How to fix 3 second audio lag between Homepod mini and Macbook Pro? All devices are brand new but yes I've reset them all.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.