Mac making strange alert/notification sounds with all notifications turned off

My Mac Mini M1 makes a strange custom alert sound randomly throughout the day. I can be sitting right in front of it when it happens and there's no obvious reason for it that pops up. Sometimes it will happen back to back to back, other times I won't hear it for a day or two. I have all notifications turned off, and the particular sound it makes doesn't show up as a standard alert sound under the sounds effects screen. I'm on Ventura 13.5.2. What can I do to troubleshoot this issue?

Mac mini

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 1:05 PM

I located the app making the notifications - Flock

Even though notifications were set to OFF in the apple system settings menu, it was still giving audible notifications when that app was open.

I was able to locate the Ta-da-dum sound in the Flock/Preferences/Notifications menu and turn off the notifications in there which were superseding Apple System Settings/Notifications OFF setting.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2023 1:05 PM in response to DanArthur28

I located the app making the notifications - Flock

Even though notifications were set to OFF in the apple system settings menu, it was still giving audible notifications when that app was open.

I was able to locate the Ta-da-dum sound in the Flock/Preferences/Notifications menu and turn off the notifications in there which were superseding Apple System Settings/Notifications OFF setting.

Sep 16, 2023 10:16 AM in response to DanArthur28

DanArthur28 wrote:

My Mac Mini M1 makes a strange custom alert sound randomly

for it that pops up.

? what custom sound...

pops-up...?

Not much to go on here.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Mac making strange alert/notification sounds with all notifications turned off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.