Cannot Type in the Header or Footer Section of Numbers on iMac

I am on my 24" iMac (2021) and cannot type within the header or footer section of Numbers or Pages. I can delete text and paste text into the header/footer, but when I type directly in the field, nothing appears.

This has been a problem since I purchased my Mac in October 2022. I have installed every software update and have uninstalled/re-installed both apps several times. Both apps are updated to the current version.

I do not have this problem on my MacBook Pro - I can type directly in the header/footer to change text.

What can I do/do I need to contact someone specific to diagnose the problem?

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 4:09 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Sep 16, 2023 1:49 PM in response to trace1208

Hey trace1208,

We're grateful that you posted here so we can help you figure this out.

When you're working with headers and footers in Pages, this resource is going to be your best bet: Add and remove headers and footers in Pages on Mac - Apple Support. If you click through to that article, it will go into detail on how you can add or remove headers and footers in Pages on macOS. The visual guide there is a great resource to bookmark and should help you out going forward.

For Numbers, you may be referring to header and footer rows. This article goes into detail on how you can edit those when applicable: Add or remove rows and columns in Numbers on Mac - Apple Support

We hope this does the trick for you!

Cheers.

Sep 18, 2023 10:40 AM in response to nathan430

Hello nathan430,

Thank you for your response. However, it did not help. I am aware of the process for adding/removing headers for Pages. My issue with Pages has been resolved; my issue with Numbers persists (hence the title of my post only mentions Numbers).

To clarify: I am not talking about header rows and columns. I am talking about headers for the print page.

Once I select "Print" on the spreadsheet, the Print Setup page appears and typically enables editing of the header/footer. For my iMac, I can select the header/footer and paste text into it, but cannot edit the text by simply typing.

Please see the attached image for the area I am talking about.

Sep 19, 2023 4:18 PM in response to nathan430

When I first started using Numbers, I learned the Numbers header and footers were edited in the print dialog box...totally intuitive. ;-) I'm running the latest version of Numbers and MacOS and now it's at that first Print dialog...not the actual print dialog. This is where Numbers shows you the grid of what's going to print...before you finally click the, um, second Print... button. I don't use Pages very often, so maybe this is different. But hopefully this is the clue you need to solve your problem.

Sep 19, 2023 5:40 PM in response to trace1208

trace1208 wrote:

cannot type within the header or footer section of Numbers or Pages. I can delete text and paste text into the header/footer, but when I type directly in the field, nothing appears.

Are you taking care to click in a box of the footer or header, so that the cursor is flashing within it, before trying to type.

SG

Sep 20, 2023 9:17 AM in response to SGIII

I am amazed at the level of ineptitude assumed of question-askers... worse than "have you tried turning it off and back on" comments.

You even quoted the portion of my question that explicitly states I can paste text into the field, meaning yes, I ensure the cursor is flashing within the box before attempting to type.

This is why I rarely ask questions here - everyone assumes a question-asker has no idea what they are talking about rather than it being a serious problem.

I have contacted Apple Support and learned this is a developer problem specific to my computer. They are helping me with the issue.

Please take care to ask better clarifying questions in the future that don't borderline insult the asker, and try to get at the root of the problem first.

Jan 23, 2024 6:23 AM in response to trace1208

Thanks trace1208 for showing me a work around for this issue. I did not know you could paste text into the Header and Footer. I have a M2 Mac Mini with the same problem.

I also have a new MacBook Pro where I can type directly into the Header and Footer. The MacBook Pro is running a different version of Numbers and I will be sure NOT to update it.

A fix for this problem on my Mac Mini is to create a new User Account and transfer everything from the existing account. I partially tried this (just created a new account) and it works. But it is a ridiculous and tedious fix. Apple needs to fix the problem.

Jan 23, 2024 6:33 AM in response to trace1208

trace1208 wrote:

I am amazed at the level of ineptitude assumed of question-askers... worse than "have you tried turning it off and back on" comments.

You'd be amazed at the number of times a simple reminder to restart the Mac or to try in a new user account does the job. Under pressure and in a frustrating situation even experienced users forget Troubleshooting 101. I forget sometimes too.

SG

Cannot Type in the Header or Footer Section of Numbers on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.