Saving files on IPad 4

Is there a function such as “File Save” or “File Save As, with the Option key as on Mac Book Pro” or is it basically close the document and it saves automatically?

Thanks

iPad Air (4th generation)

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 12:16 PM

make mt wrote:

EG: Budget 2023 to Budget 2024 - Saving the layout, tables and formulas and clearing the cells of any data on the new (2024) and leaving the original (2023)in place.

Let’s discuss this excellent example.

Here’s how I accomplish this task.

I use the iPad’s Files app to locate Budget 2023. I then select that file (all in the Files app) and duplicate it. It turns out the duplicate copy is already named properly (Budget 2024) because it’s numbered sequentially. If that were not the case, the new file could be renamed in the Files app.

Unfortunately, you’re on your own to clear the obsolete data from the new file.

If this were the sort of thing you did frequently (perhaps weekly instead of annually), you might consider starting with a data-free template file to use and duplicate.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 12:16 PM in response to make mt

make mt wrote:

EG: Budget 2023 to Budget 2024 - Saving the layout, tables and formulas and clearing the cells of any data on the new (2024) and leaving the original (2023)in place.

Let’s discuss this excellent example.

Here’s how I accomplish this task.

I use the iPad’s Files app to locate Budget 2023. I then select that file (all in the Files app) and duplicate it. It turns out the duplicate copy is already named properly (Budget 2024) because it’s numbered sequentially. If that were not the case, the new file could be renamed in the Files app.

Unfortunately, you’re on your own to clear the obsolete data from the new file.

If this were the sort of thing you did frequently (perhaps weekly instead of annually), you might consider starting with a data-free template file to use and duplicate.

Sep 17, 2023 12:08 PM in response to sberman

Thanks for the reply:

I have started using I Cloud Drive but the question refers to files on my iPad as well. I am using IPadOS 16.6.1. I'm not using any other software.

Yes. I am talking about saving a document after I make changes but also would like to use "save as" to save the document with a different name in order to clear the new document of information in order to start over.

I can do this on my Mac Book Pro, was wondering if iPad Air 4th Generation has a similar option or is it strictly closing the document saves it?

Thanks again for your response

Saving files on IPad 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.