Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

iTunes Music on PC syncs to Ipod mini but not to iPad

I have 1,200+ songs on my PC version of iTunes, most of which were loaded from music CDs over the years. Some are purchased from Apple. I've been syncing to my iPod mini for years without problems.

Recently, I connected my iPad by cable to the PC and synced up for the first time. The full library came through, but I got a small list of errors for songs that are "not authorized." I deselected those and ran sync again, but instead of a slightly reduced set of songs, the iPad showed 2,400 songs, half of which were duplicate titles.

Worse yet, it turned out that nearly all of my songs had not actually downloaded but were empty except for the title. When I tried to play them, an error box displayed, saying the song was "not authorized for my region/country," or some such. There did not appear to be any easy way to correct the situation, so I deleted the Music app on the iPad and downloaded a new copy.

The new app copy did not make things better; it's just a new flavor of bad. The region/country warning is gone, probably because the sync process only syncs items purchased from Apple. The other 95% are absent. I cannot find a workaround.

iTunes and OS versions on both devices are current. I have iCloud available on both devices, but it's unclear if it can be used to help.

I've tried converting some test cases on the PC side to .mp3's etc., but it makes no difference.

I'd really like to solve this.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 11:54 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. They were indirectly helpful, but It turns out the actual problem was in the settings needed to direct iTunes on my PC to actually DO something during synchronization. The default is to do next to nothing. Unfortunately, the exisistence and location of the sync controls is not obvious.

I wasted a lot of time looking for a technical cure. Sorry to have wasted your time as well.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2023 11:54 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for the suggestions. They were indirectly helpful, but It turns out the actual problem was in the settings needed to direct iTunes on my PC to actually DO something during synchronization. The default is to do next to nothing. Unfortunately, the exisistence and location of the sync controls is not obvious.

I wasted a lot of time looking for a technical cure. Sorry to have wasted your time as well.

Sep 17, 2023 11:47 AM in response to trailride

Try Edit > Preferences > Devices > Reset Sync History and then try syncing once more.

If that hasn't helped try signing out of the iTunes Store on the device and then try again.

Otherwise see this post on erratic syncing.

Note that you can only sync content that has been downloaded to your computer. You cannot sync content that is in the cloud or that comes from an Apple Music subscription.

tt2

iTunes Music on PC syncs to Ipod mini but not to iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.