Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

AIRTAG not updating 9/17/23

Hi,

I just got this airtag to track my luggage at the airport. All the required setting are turned, find my iphone/find my network, why is my airtag not updating? What is the point of this if it cannot track my luggage when I am away?

I bought 2 just incase but did not take the other out of the box luckily!

I will be returning the other one!

Please assist with any suggestions for this case.

Thank you so much.

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 12:15 PM

How does an AirTag work:

Your AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the Find My network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud — then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy. And itʼs efficient, so thereʼs no need to worry about battery life or data usage.

When you use the AirTag to track your luggage, the AirTag has to come within a 30 feet or less of another device in the Find My network so that it can send a location signal to iCloud. The odds of that happening on an Airplane or at the luggage claim in the AirPort are probably low.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 12:15 PM in response to bochox

How does an AirTag work:

Your AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the Find My network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud — then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy. And itʼs efficient, so thereʼs no need to worry about battery life or data usage.

When you use the AirTag to track your luggage, the AirTag has to come within a 30 feet or less of another device in the Find My network so that it can send a location signal to iCloud. The odds of that happening on an Airplane or at the luggage claim in the AirPort are probably low.

Axel F.

AIRTAG not updating 9/17/23

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.