MacBook Air connects to internet, can open Google and gmail but won’t load websites.

My MacBook connects to the internet, I can google search, receive and open email, use Spotify but can’t open any links, can’t open web pages, can’t use other internet dependent programs like AnyDesk.

Internet works fine on my phone and IPad.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 11:20 AM

I understand you essentially can't load any websites with Safari on your Mac, and other apps requiring Internet communications aren't working either, except for Mail.

Are you using a VPN? If you are, try not using it.

Otherwise review all the suggestions in If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac - Apple Support. Even though it discusses Safari specifically, review all of those suggestions. Some of them are applicable to connection problems in general.

Restart your Mac if you haven't already.

Try "Safe Mode": Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Needless to say, if you are using any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" products including "banking security", anything at all in that broad category of utterly useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do.

That's about all the suggestions I have at the moment, but if you don't get anywhere by all means write back.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2023 11:20 AM in response to clandrummer

I understand you essentially can't load any websites with Safari on your Mac, and other apps requiring Internet communications aren't working either, except for Mail.

Are you using a VPN? If you are, try not using it.

Otherwise review all the suggestions in If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac - Apple Support. Even though it discusses Safari specifically, review all of those suggestions. Some of them are applicable to connection problems in general.

Restart your Mac if you haven't already.

Try "Safe Mode": Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Needless to say, if you are using any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" products including "banking security", anything at all in that broad category of utterly useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do.

That's about all the suggestions I have at the moment, but if you don't get anywhere by all means write back.

Sep 19, 2023 11:49 AM in response to clandrummer

Thank you, John. Chrome is my default browser but I’m having the same issue with either system. I can connect to Google, open email, even do a search but when I click on any of the links in the search results the page won’t open, I eventually get the message - This site can’t be reached. I can’t open any other webpages. I know the internet service is working as all my other devices work fine. I can use Spotify but not other internet apps. I’ve gone through the Apple suggestions. I’m going to review and see if there’s anything I missed. I’m about to try safe mode.

MacBook Air connects to internet, can open Google and gmail but won’t load websites.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.