Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to recover a deleted voicemail

Accidentally deleted a phone message before I had the opportunity to listen to the message. Hope to be able to restore message from backup.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 12:44 AM

Generally, there are three available methods to recover deleted voicemail on iPhone. From the message trash, iTunes or iCloud backup and the iPhone message database. Here is a quick tutorial to help you retrieve deleted voicemail on iPhone:

https://www.iphonetransferrecovery.com/blog/recover-a-deleted-voicemail-on-iphone/

P.S. Don't forget to backup your iPhone to avoid data loss in future!

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2024 12:44 AM in response to Jcampbell254

Generally, there are three available methods to recover deleted voicemail on iPhone. From the message trash, iTunes or iCloud backup and the iPhone message database. Here is a quick tutorial to help you retrieve deleted voicemail on iPhone:

https://www.iphonetransferrecovery.com/blog/recover-a-deleted-voicemail-on-iphone/

P.S. Don't forget to backup your iPhone to avoid data loss in future!

Sep 19, 2023 9:25 PM in response to Jcampbell254

Usual: Phone app > tap Voicemail > scroll down to the bottom of the voicemail list, and tap Deleted Voicemail > tap the deleted voicemail you want to restore > tap the red trashcan-with-a-slash icon.

If the message is not in the deleted list, or was deleted again from the deleted list, the carrier might be able to restore it. Maybe.

Sep 19, 2023 9:13 PM in response to Jcampbell254

Jcampbell254 Said:

"How to recover a deleted voicemail: Accidentally deleted a phone message before I had the opportunity to listen to the message. Hope to be able to restore message from backup."

-------

Troubleshooting Deleted Voicemail:

Contact your Carrier:

Restoring the iPhone from a backup, you not be successful. If they are deleted, then they are deleted. So, from here, go through your Carrier, seeing what service they have for recovering Voicemail.

Feb 15, 2024 9:39 AM in response to diane2021

diane2021 wrote:

I am trying to retrieve an accidentally deleted voicemail that I need too. No option for deleted voicemail on my iPhone 12

The sequence I described above (Phone app > tap Voicemail > scroll down to the bottom of the voicemail list, and tap Deleted Messages > tap the deleted voicemail you want to restore > tap the red trashcan-with-a-slash icon) works in iOS 17.3.1

I’ve checked and deleted voicemail is available for recovery in iOS 17.3.1. Lots of spam voicemail, too.

if you have no Deleted Messages shown at the bottom of your list of voicemail, you either have no deleted voicemail, or your carrier doesn’t implement that feature. Contact your carrier.

Dec 30, 2023 10:02 AM in response to Mrsob4

Mrsob4 wrote:

After the 17.2.1 update deleted voicemail is no longer an option to choose. So frustrating as Ive deleted a vm in error and now no option to retrieve. Just prior to this last update I was able to do it. Do you know anything about that?

The sequence I described above (Phone app > tap Voicemail > scroll down to the bottom of the voicemail list, and tap Deleted Voicemail > tap the deleted voicemail you want to restore > tap the red trashcan-with-a-slash icon.) still works in iOS 17.2.1.

I’ve checked and the deleted voicemail is available for recovery in iOS 17.2.1.

Is it possible your carrier has either deleted the deleted voicemail messages, or is not supporting deleted voicemail recovery, or has somehow gotten their voicemail service tangled?

Check with your carrier, as a starting point.

Mar 16, 2024 7:43 AM in response to Lasseneagle

Lasseneagle wrote:

Interestingly, about 48hrs after update, ALL of my voicemails are back as well as the “deleted” list & a new “blocked voicemails” tab. But for the first two days post update, my voicemail box was completely empty with no tabs/icons.

Seems like a carrier data migration, or maybe some other carrier issue, and that got resolved.

Mar 20, 2024 8:55 AM in response to ANGELARLEWIS

ANGELARLEWIS wrote:

Recover a voicemail

The sequence described above (Phone app > tap Voicemail > scroll down to the bottom of the voicemail list, and tap Deleted Messages > tap the deleted voicemail you want to restore > tap the red-trashcan-with-a-slash icon) works in iOS 17.4.

I’ve checked and deleted voicemail is available for recovery in iOS 17.4. Lots of spam voicemail available locally, too.

if you have no Deleted Messages shown at the bottom of your list of voicemail, you either have no deleted voicemail, or your carrier doesn’t implement that feature. Contact your carrier.

Apr 3, 2024 8:12 AM in response to Jimmyeats8

Jimmyeats8 wrote:

How to restore an old voicemail

Update to iOS 17.4.1.

Phone app > tap Voicemail > scroll down to the bottom of the voicemail list, and tap Deleted Messages > tap the deleted voicemail you want to restore > tap the red-trashcan-with-a-slash icon

If the voicemail is listed there, it can be restored.

If the voicemail is not listed there, check with your carrier.

Apr 22, 2024 12:32 PM in response to carmela89

carmela89 wrote:

How do I retrieve a voicemail I deleted by accident

Update to iOS 17.4.1.

Phone app > tap Voicemail > scroll down to the bottom of the voicemail list, and tap Deleted Messages > tap the deleted voicemail you want to restore > tap the red-trashcan-with-a-slash icon

If the voicemail is listed there, it can be restored.

If the voicemail is not listed there, check with your carrier.

How to recover a deleted voicemail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.