You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Mail sounds since iOS 17 update

Hi

i have just updated to ios17 and since then, my Apple Mail app has been silent when I receive Mail. It still makes the swoosh sound when I send from the app. All Notifications are on. Volume is up. At the moment this appears to be the only app I’m having an issue with. Any ideas on a solution would be gratefully received

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 11:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2024 4:51 PM

After a full day of my life on this issue guys a senior tech found it!

go to mail

custom notifications

the buttons are set on each email to off for no apparent reason.

open each mail account and put “alerts” on.

63 replies

Jan 28, 2024 6:24 AM in response to adamw77

January 28/2024 and still the same issue in iOS 17.3. And yes I have done everything including resetting all settings and device restore from iMac. Sounds and alerts are enabled and all is right and still 8 to 100 mails have no notification in Lock Screen. Also I notice that despite I have the sound in full, alerts from other apps sounds soft and in app sounds like Pinterest sounds loud despite I have sounds in zero. What is happening?

Dec 13, 2023 5:19 PM in response to debls55

I just contacted Apple regarding this issue, and the people I spoke with, while friendly, gave me a lot of the same answers all of you have been getting. They took me through the exact same trouble shooting steps I've already tried multiple, multiple times on my own. They even went so far as to tell me to erase my phone and start from scratch. I want my email sounds, but not that badly. Restoring is a massive pain in the tail. Anyway, I'll try this lock screen suggestion, just for fun, but as a voiceover user, I suspect that this will end up being more of an annoyance than it's worth. All I know is that everything was fine prior to iOS 17. I've gone into the custom notifications for mail, and all is as it should be. Let's hope that Apple decides to acknowledge this issue as a bug sooner rather than later.

Dec 13, 2023 10:33 AM in response to bwoskow

Same issue - No "notification" sound when receiving Apple Mail email. I have Gmail and Outlook clients installed on all my devices - mail notification sounds work fine. Apple Mail notification sounds do not work on iPad, iPhone, and MacBook either. Everything is turned on as suggested in this thread to no avail. Also, I am running custom domain email with iCloud+ with several folders.

Apple - are you monitoring this thread? If so, please provide input.

Running IOS 17.2.1

Oct 4, 2023 12:41 AM in response to adamw77

So..I got in touch with Apple yesterday. I sent over an analytics report from the phone..and nothing was wrong with the phone. Was given the opportunity to get a call back from senior support this morning. Have just finished with them and…they don’t have an answer about the update and they suggested I take the phone to an Apple Store to have a technician check the phone, but as many of you know, it’s not the phone. The nearest Apple Store is 1 1/2 hours away, so that won’t be happening anytime soon.

Ideally as many as possible with this issue need to contact Apple directly. This can be done very easily via their text messaging service

Feb 6, 2024 6:49 PM in response to adamw77

I had the same problem as others here and finally found the issue. In settings, notifications, mail and go down to customize notifications. Had to set iCloud to Alerts, Sounds, Badges. I set it a couple of times and for some reason kept changing. It finally stayed set, have no idea why it was changing on me. To get all three to show I had to turn them on in remind me, then once iCloud was set I turned remind me back to off. See pics, hope this helps someone. It affected iOS 17.3 and my MacBook Pro running MacOS 14.3 and now both are fixed.

Sep 20, 2023 1:12 PM in response to adamw77

Ok. After some experimenting I have found a solution this this problem. However, this is an issue Apple needs to address.

The solution I found is in settings, then notifications, then mail, you MUST have Lock Screen notifications on have any sound when you receive an email. If, like me, you have sound notifications on, but all visual alerts on screen off, you will not get any sound notifications either on ios17. I will now try this with other apps

No Mail sounds since iOS 17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.