Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

CarPlay no longer working on iOS 17

I have an iPhone 12 Pro and updated to iOS17 last night. This morning, CarPlay no longer functions in my 2021 Jeep Cherokee. Same cable, same port. It was working just fine yesterday. When I plug my phone in, it receives power, but nothing else happens. CarPlay does not pop up on the screen.

I have restarted my phone, force rebooted the phone, restarted the car, tried a different cable and port, removed all connected cars in CarPlay settings on my phone, turned Bluetooth off/on, etc., with no change. I found this article (https://droidwin.com/how-to-fix-carplay-not-working-on-ios-17/) which is from August when iOS 17 was still in Beta and followed all of the steps except for the following:

Step 3 ("Re-Enable CarPlay") - It mentions there being a toggle for CarPlay when going to Settings > General, but there is no such toggle on my phone, you can only enter CarPlay to see connected cars. Maybe this was a Beta-only thing?

Step 8 ("Verify Wireless Connection") - This step doesn't apply as I have wired CarPlay, not wireless. My phone does connect to my Jeep's infotainment system via Bluetooth (which it always has), but I don't ever utilize it in that manner; I've always used wired CarPlay.

Step 9 ("Update Firmware") - iOS 17 is brand new so there are no new updates to download from Apple yet.

Step 11 ("Reset Car Infotainment System") - I actually did the closest thing I could find in my Jeep's infotainment settings, which was "Reset Settings". Nothing seemed to happen or change after I did it though, so I don't know what settings it actually reset. I don't know if there is some other system-level reset option available (if there is I can't find it anywhere) or if there is a way to find out if there is a firmware update available for my car and if so, how to go about installing it.

I can't do it right now since I'm at work, but later I plan to try connecting my phone to my wife's 2019 Jeep Compass and see if I can get CarPlay to come up there (she hasn't updated to iOS 17 yet and as of this morning her CarPlay works fine), and vice versa, I want to see if her phone will still pull up CarPlay on mine. If it does, then I'll know with absolute certainty that iOS 17 is the culprit that killed CarPlay for me.

Has anybody else experienced this issue? At this point, I wish I could just downgrade to iOS 16.

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2023 2:50 PM

When will programmers stop breaking things that are working fine. The culture/cult of constant change (it is seldom improvement) needs to end. I can only hope that my phone randomly decides to CarPlay with my Jeep Wrangler JL again in coming days.

Similar questions

26 replies

Sep 20, 2023 8:51 AM in response to zauriel

Well, that's mildly infuriating. After spending an hour this morning trying everything under the sun to get CarPlay to work without success, I posted this issue to Reddit and someone provided instructions on how to hard reset the Jeep infotainment system. I went out to my car to try it, but didn't even have to get that far. As soon as I plugged my phone in, I got a pop-up asking if I wanted to allow CarPlay to access the phone while locked. As soon as I allowed it, CarPlay popped up on my car's screen. No rhyme or reason to it. Was it one of the things I did earlier, and it just needed time to "set in"? Did I need to be away from my car for a certain length of time? Who knows. At least it's working again.

Dec 10, 2023 4:50 AM in response to jon210

I want to post an update to my prior post.

After I posted about updating to IOS17.1.1 I had the same problem again with my new IPhone 15 Pro. CP would connect sometimes and not other times. I was using my old USB-A to Lightning cable with an adaptor.

I found this on the Apple Support website:

"You can use the USB-C to Lightning Adapter with wired CarPlay in most vehicles. However, some combinations of adapters, cables, and vehicle entertainment systems might disrupt the wired CarPlay connection. In this situation or for cars that support only wired CarPlay, use a direct connection with a USB-A to USB-C cable, such as the Belkin BOOST↑Charge Pro Flex USB-A to USB-C Cable."

I bought a new USB-A. to USB-C cable -- and Voila! No more problems. I have used CP repeatedly and it seems reliable.

Oct 4, 2023 3:08 PM in response to zauriel

Same issue on my 2022 Jeep JL Wrangler with the 8.4” Uconnect 4 system and the iPhone 15 Pro Max running iOS 17.0.2. Did some troubleshooting and discovered a few things.

1. If music is already playing when plugging phone in CarPlay won’t always switch on.

2. Have to turn the car off and back on if switching between the USB-A and USB-C port on the same input group. Probably an address table issue.

3. Despite allowing access to Siri while locked and allowing access to CarPlay while locked for Uconnect the phone must be unlocked when connecting the usb cable or CarPlay does not activate.

Oct 6, 2023 11:13 AM in response to zauriel

Same problem here, but I have a iPhone 12 mini and a 2018 Honda Fit. While I was waiting for a callback from Apple support, a family member suggested resetting the infotainment center. My system has a physical power button that resets the entire infotainment system when held down. After I went through this process (my car was on during this time), CarPlay almost immediately reconnected and started up for me.

Not sure if this will work for anyone else as all our cars are different, but thought I should pass it along just in case!

Oct 7, 2023 11:00 AM in response to zauriel

2021 BMW X1: iOS 16 CarPlay worked fairly well. After upgrading to iOS 17 no cp connectivity. Several times message “this device is not CarPlay compatible.”

Prior to writing this I have done the following 2x A or more:

restarted car and phone.

Deleted device in Beamer and cp profile in phone.

able to connect both with Bluetooth and bmw WiFi but Jane disconnected and reconnected both of these multiple times.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2023 4:50 AM in response to Isles239

I have quite dependable performance of CP in my ’21 RAM pickup using a cable. 🤷‍♂️ clean the lightening port on your phone? Change cables?

On ‘19 RAM, assuming you have Uconnect 8.4 you could try a factory reset (back to factory default—losing All your settings, radio stations, etc). Google “Dodge Ram Uconnect reset”.

Possibly a Dodge software update OS needed from a dealer.

Oct 10, 2023 4:59 AM in response to docjonnt

Followup:

left the vehicle after an hour’s struggle. Came back the next day and it promptly recognized CP on my iOS 17 phone.

Mystery meat.

My admittedly uninformed impression: BMW doesn’t want to surrender all its “infotainment” function to Apple but has tried to engineer a partial retreat by allowing a driver to use, say, Apple Maps in CP but still use their iPhone (and contacts) in iDrive. Way too complicated as a result.

In my Dodge RAM, if one chooses CP, it seems far more “walled-off.” It’s more one or the other exclusively and thus, for me at least, works far more seamlessly.

Oct 18, 2023 5:35 AM in response to zauriel

Same thing with my wife's 2019 Hyundai Tuscon. Neither one of our phones will respond to CarPlay after the IOS 17 update. CarPlay for calls will show on the screen like always....Maps will load, but when I try to call someone, I can't hear anything and vice versa, when someone calls me or my wife, we can see the call coming in, but when we answer, nothing (But the other person can hear us (I only know this because the folks I've tried to call have told me once I call them back when I'm in the house). Phone also doesn't ring with CarPlay. Bluetooth works fine. I've tried every suggestion on here to no avail.

Nov 6, 2023 1:26 PM in response to AwesomeDad0

So turns out it has nothing to do with the music playing etc. if I unplug the usb-c cable and plug it back in multiple times CarPlay will activate about every 3rd or 4th try. Now if I open the Jeep app on my iPhone which is basically a vendor specific UConnect app and then repeat the test CarPlay activates more consistently missing a connection every now and then. I went to the uconnect site and punched in my VIN and it says my system is up to date. I called Apple and they said that since this is happening across multiple phones that it is not a device issue but most likely a firmware issue with the vehicle manufacturer. So here we are customer left in the middle. Everything worked perfectly on iOS16

Nov 13, 2023 1:00 PM in response to zauriel

Hi. As far as later models go, BMW customer service has come up with a likely cure. At least it’s worked for my 2020 X1 thus far. I’m going to paste their guidance below which may help at least Bimmer owners with similar CarPlay probs:

”Please be advised we see a provisioning issue on the backend. Please make sure vehicle is out in the open and Bluetooth is off on your phone before performing the steps below. 

We recommend performing an Update Services in your vehicle to refresh the connection. This can be done by following the steps below:

-Navigate to “ConnectedDrive” and select 

-Click the physical “Options” button   (surrounding your iDrive controller)  

-Click on “Update BMW Assist

Once the update completes, we recommend shutting the vehicle off and locking doors allowing 30 minutes before restarting the vehicle to check the connection.

Then, please navigate back to the main menu and select Car, Settings, General settings, scroll down to Data Privacy and select and make sure box is checked for Agree and activate all.

Then, please follow the steps below to reset Apple CarPlay:

Delete the phone from the vehicle and vice versa 

Turn on Wi-Fi on the phone

Pair them both again

Select Apple CarPlay when prompted

Note: If the device was used as telephony or BlueTooth music device then it will need to be unpaired and repaired for ACP to work. 

If issues persist, please provide an image and/or screenshot of your Idrive screen in the vehicle so we can further analyze what you see on your end provide next steps. We apologize for the inconvenience. Our days of operation are Monday-Friday; 8:30 AM-5:30 PM EST. 

Sincerely,

ConnectedDrive Services Customer Care

Fax: 888-226-9492”

CarPlay no longer working on iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.