AirDrop is not working after new iOS 17 update

After updating both my phone and iPad to the iOS 17, my airdrop has been giving me problems. Although my iPad can airdrop to other people’s phone it cannot airdrop to my phone. And my phone does not pick up on my iPad nor any other devices. I am not able to airdrop something from my iPad if it’s from my phone. It also automatically declines when I try to airdrop something to my phone, or my phone won’t pick it up. I’ve tried everything that has been recommended on the internet but it doesn’t seem to help.

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2024 3:20 AM

Hey, if your iPad is not cellular( and it is working ) then I can say it might be an issue with your iPhone, since this might be a network settings issue. For this I can suggest some fixes, you already said you did some troubleshooting however, I dont know which one you tried. So I will recommend these fixes

• When Airdropping turn off cellular Data
  • Reboot your Iphone
  • Remove AirDrop Restrictions
  • Re-sign in to your iCloud
  • Try Reset Network Settings

I suggested these fixes from this guide, for detailed steps refer to it: 6 Ways to Fix Airdrop Not Working After IOS 17 Update , I hope after applying one of these fixes you won't face this issue.

253 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2024 3:20 AM in response to Tul1p_

Hey, if your iPad is not cellular( and it is working ) then I can say it might be an issue with your iPhone, since this might be a network settings issue. For this I can suggest some fixes, you already said you did some troubleshooting however, I dont know which one you tried. So I will recommend these fixes

• When Airdropping turn off cellular Data
  • Reboot your Iphone
  • Remove AirDrop Restrictions
  • Re-sign in to your iCloud
  • Try Reset Network Settings

I suggested these fixes from this guide, for detailed steps refer to it: 6 Ways to Fix Airdrop Not Working After IOS 17 Update , I hope after applying one of these fixes you won't face this issue.

Sep 25, 2023 3:42 PM in response to Tul1p_

I’ve done everything I’ve been told to do and Airdrop still not working between my 2 iPads (both updated to OS 17) since the OS 17 update. Used Airdrop for years before this update and never once had a problem. Airdrop still works between either of the updated iPads and an older iPad that hasn’t been updated to 17 but is still running on OS 16.7, but on the two OS 17 updated iPads, I get “Declined” message every time.

Oct 8, 2023 7:37 PM in response to Tul1p_

I’m trying to airdrop from iPhone 12Pro to iPad Air 4 both of which have been updated to 17.0.3. I’ve been using it for years. I’ve checked it’s turned on, on both devices. I’m on wifi at home. Bluetooth is on. I’ve rebooted both devices. Everything is still on that should be on. Only trying to airdrop one phone from iPhone to iPad but still getting Declined message immediately. I’m now waiting for 17.0.4 or 5 or 6 to fix the issue.

Sep 26, 2023 6:17 AM in response to Lissy_12

None of that fixed it for me. It’s an iOS 17 bug that has something to do with mobile devices, because iPhone 11 to iPad Pro 11” and vice-versa is always declined, but either one to MacBook Pro M2 with Ventura works fine. I’ve tried all online suggestions, including logging out of iCloud on both mobiles, then relogging in, plus hard starts. Oddly, that worked temporarily, but soon quickly returned to “declined.” Also, be warned if you try that because resigning in turned on all my apps to iCoud without my permission and all 7000 of my photos started uploading. Auto iCloud for all apps is bug in itself.

Sep 28, 2023 3:10 PM in response to Tul1p_

My iPad Pro 10.5 inch with newly-installed 17.0.2 can send to my iPhone 13 Pro Max at 17.0.2, but when I try to send from phone to my iPad it says declined. If I shut off Bluetooth on the iPad and switch it back on, it will receive an Airdrop from my phone. Just once. The second attempt says declined again. If I again shut off Bluetooth on the iPad and switch it back on, it will receive ONE Airdrop. Then the problem returns. Don’t know if this is a clue.

AirDrop is not working after new iOS 17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.