Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

watchos 10 charging issues

Anyone else having issues with their Apple Watch not charging or poorly charging since upgrading to WatchOS 10? I've tried a hard reset of the Apple Watch - that resolved it the first time, but back to same issue after that initial full charge. I am using the same Apple charger I have been using for the past year when I bought my Apple Watch 8. There sure seems like a WatchOS problem.

Apple Watch Series 8, watchOS 10

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 4:21 AM

Since updating to watch 10 my apple watch 8 lost all charge from full in less than a hour and will not recharge at all on the same charger I used prior to the update. Never had this problem with any previous updates!!! Apple need to do this URGENTLY as it’s definitely a OS update issue.

anyone else have the same problem? Have you managed to solve it?

94 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2023 4:21 AM in response to DanInLV

Since updating to watch 10 my apple watch 8 lost all charge from full in less than a hour and will not recharge at all on the same charger I used prior to the update. Never had this problem with any previous updates!!! Apple need to do this URGENTLY as it’s definitely a OS update issue.

anyone else have the same problem? Have you managed to solve it?

Sep 21, 2023 6:49 PM in response to DanInLV

Looks like there is a feature that prevents the watch from charging to 100% to extend the life of the battery. Same feature they have on MacBooks. Mine was Stuck on 79/80%. If you look at the battery indicator you will now see a small line where it stops charging. Tap on the battery indicator and then tap on charge to 100%. You should be good to go. Hope this helps. This was a poor rollout of this new feature.

Sep 30, 2023 7:19 AM in response to DanInLV

I forgot to mention in my previous rant you can likely instantly fix this by turning off the Optimized Battery Charge settings that is on by default on your watch. Here's the full link on how all this works. In my case my relatives watch went from 80% to 100% in 10 minutes after turning off this option. Ideally you would want the option on but they messed up something in WatchOS10 that reset its brains on how the option is interpreting things.

About Optimized Battery Charging on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Sep 23, 2023 6:32 AM in response to DanInLV

Same issue here. Watch gets very hot and charges slowly while also draining more quickly. I have been charging my Series 5 watch with the same charger for years and it is awfully suspicious how this occurred the day I updated to ios 10. While over the years I have experienced expected diminishing performance, this is an incredibly disappointing update. Luckily they just came up with ios 10.0.1 so hopefully this will fix this issue.

Sep 25, 2023 5:10 AM in response to DanInLV

Yes, same problem, not charging, but even when down to 38% and 10% it still won't charge on my dual iPhone-Watch charger, but continues to charge my iPhone. I've cleaned both the charger and my Watch. It was charging fine before upgrading OS.

I wonder - my dual charger has my phone being parallel with the desk. With OS10, Apple added new features to make the Watch when perpendicular to the desk have new faces, etc. So I wonder if it has to do with parallel vs. perpendicular.

When I switched to my Apple duo-travel-charger it started charging just fine.

I find it hard to believe that my other, parallel, non-Apple, duo charger, that continues to charge my iPhone has some problem that just effects Watch charging, all of a sudden after upgrading to OS10.

Oct 26, 2023 7:33 AM in response to DanInLV

Finally after two weeks went to the Apple Genius Bar and they tested the watch, Apple Watch Ultra..Battery was fine and nothing else popped up in diagnostics. They took my watch and sending it for factory reset or they will replace it. I will know what the outcome is in a few days. But they did not know of anything yet.

Since so many of us are having this problem and it’s most likely software, I recommend making a formal case and taking it in. Maybe Apple will address it sooner. Our watches were completely useless because they drained so quickly.

Oct 16, 2023 2:32 PM in response to DanInLV

Me too:

Apple Watch Ultra 1 taking many hours to charge since updating to watchOS 10

• original Apple fast charging cable
  • connected to (non-Apple) 100W USB power supply that works perfectly with all other Apple devices.

The combination worked great before watchOS 10 update. Now the watch needs to stay in a charger for many hours every day.

Embarrassing part: Two people purchased the latest gen Apple Watch after I convinced them that they charge fast. Now they must consider returning or waiting for Apple to fix the bug.

Apple, please recognize that this is a bug and you will fix it: knowing that it will be fixed would allow not returning the watches.

Oct 25, 2023 9:19 PM in response to DanInLV

Watch series 7 user here. My watch usually lasts 20-24 hours on one charge. Today, charged it to about 100% ... and then updated to WatchOS 10.1. Was very surprised 3 hours later to see a low battery alert. What?

The drain under the red line (curve) is normal. The area under yellow is far from normal.

Got home, put it on the charger, and it went from 9% to 41% in an hour ... and then, from there, WHILE CHARGING (using original Apple charger), it DROPPED to 35%.

Possible good news: I did a hard restart, and within 12 minutes or so, it went from 35% to 56%. Fingers crossed that's all it needed.

watchos 10 charging issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.