Can I force iPhone pro 13 to use cellular data while connected to a Wi-Fi network?

My situation is this:

I live in a rural area. My internet service is limited to 150GB download per month. I also get 5G on my phone.

I want to be able to remain connected to my Wi-Fi network so I can sync with smart devices on my Wi-Fi network but simultaneously I only want to use cellular data on my phone.

A use case would be streaming music or video over cellular data while using Airplay to mirror or play to another device on my Wi-Fi network.

Currently if I’m connected to my Wi-Fi network with my phone all data is received through the Wi-Fi network.

is there any way to select or force what path I get my data through?

thank you!

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 8:37 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 20, 2023 9:57 AM in response to KiltedTim

Yes, we are using internet provided via cellular service. Unfortunately at this time the only option is not unlimited data. So I was trying to see if I could save data by using the unlimited cellular data for some phone streaming and reserving the 2GB/$1 for desktop/laptop only.

I’ve tried setting up a local network that is not connected to the internet to connect to my local devices however the phone tries to use that network to receive data and therefore I get no internet connection and can stream nothing. WiFi assist only kicks in when WiFi signal is weak not when there is no connection to internet.

I’m not sure the complexities involved

in creating a path for simultaneous local network connection with the choice to receive data via cellular data, but it seems like it would be a good feature that would allow flexibility for users who are in remote areas who need to use their technology in creative ways to achieve desired results.

Can I force iPhone pro 13 to use cellular data while connected to a Wi-Fi network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.