Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPadOS 17 pdf editing is broken

Ipad os 17 pdf editor is horrible. I have hundreds of pdf files, and for some reasons for all of them it created an additional layer with absolutely the same markups. But the worst thing is that I cannot even erase the markups which were previously done. When using an eraser tool, they just become faded.

How I am supposed to work with hundreds of my work files now?? It worked normally in iPad is 16.

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 8:44 AM

this happens all the time. FIX IT NOW APPLE!!!!

While annotating with the Apple Pencil , the document will crash and reopen, with ALL of the prior annotations missing. The pen will then start in black until it “remembers” that a color was selected and switch back to that on the fly. I cannot erase prior annotations anymore. Documents sometimes seem to have saved correctly but then annotations are missing. Frustrating.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2023 8:44 AM in response to nortonouls

this happens all the time. FIX IT NOW APPLE!!!!

While annotating with the Apple Pencil , the document will crash and reopen, with ALL of the prior annotations missing. The pen will then start in black until it “remembers” that a color was selected and switch back to that on the fly. I cannot erase prior annotations anymore. Documents sometimes seem to have saved correctly but then annotations are missing. Frustrating.

Oct 3, 2023 6:44 PM in response to nortonouls

IOS 17.0.2 and still this is not fixed. I'm using iPad pro (M2 chip with 2TB storage). How do we push this to support and get it fixed?

I wrote miserably on a 5 page pdf, I had to save every time I wrote something so it didn't crash. The file size went from a few kb to over 250 Mb after I was done. Something is very wrong.

Sep 22, 2023 8:40 AM in response to nortonouls

Agreed. This is pretty terrible. While annotating, the document will crash and reopen, with some of the prior annotations missing. The pen will then start in black until it “remembers” that a color was selected and switch back to that on the fly. I cannot erase prior annotations anymore. Documents sometimes seem to have saved correctly but then annotations are missing. Frustrating.

This is a huge setback for the app… really poor release quality from Apple.

Oct 5, 2023 9:37 PM in response to nortonouls

I write out music on blank manuscript paper saved as a pdf. I copy the pdf blank page, paste it in a folder I’m working on, write out the music and save under its new name. And repeat. It appears to be saving all the content from all the charts I write using the pasted ‘blank’ pdf. Each file size is larger than the previous file. When I use the ‘create PDF’ function to combine all the charts I’ve written I get this mess. Please fix. Please. Please.

Oct 4, 2023 4:37 AM in response to FWDSLIP

250MB - wow.

Does anyone remember if iPad annotations in past releases were (or could be) pixel based? I'm used to having every annotation be an "object" that was its own entity, and could be erased only as an entire entity. This new release allows pixel erasing, which allows erasing tiny parts of any individual annotation - think Photoshop.

This seems new to me. Is it?

If this is new, that's a major change in to the foundation of this app and could explain a lot of this upheaval. And I would expect file sizes to be larger, tho 250MB still seems huge...

Oct 5, 2023 2:11 PM in response to nortonouls

Same thing happened to me too. The edits are not getting erased. They just fade a little. The worst thing is my pdf files have even disappeared completely. They are not in deleted folder or anywhere else. Even after erasing the iPad same issues keep happening and apple support guys don’t have any solution. They just told me to keep waiting for maybe few weeks or months or maybe a year until they fix it, they don’t have any answer and my iPad was still under warranty.

Oct 9, 2023 7:16 PM in response to nortonouls

I am having this same issue. As a college student I depend on pdf files entirely so imagine my surprise when I see my most important and valuable textbook’s pdf completely blank. I need that for class and cannot study without it. I thought it was the file itself so I attempted to delete it and redownload it. To my surprise the file redownloaded but blank, even though the origina copy was okay and contained all my information needed. What am I supposed to do now? This issue needs to be resolved asap or else I am officially switching to a different companies products. This is ridiculous I should not be struggling with this with a company such as apple I expect better than whatever this mess is.

Oct 9, 2023 8:01 PM in response to nortonouls

I have all the issues noted above. And sometimes while marking with the pencil, the Markup ‘panics’ and just refreshes and all my edits to that point are lost with no way to recover. This is within a single edit session.

Apple completely broke my workflow with this. I’m a teacher and use markup on PDFs in my classroom live for students to follow. I’ve had to abandon Markup and go with the uPDF app, which is fine, but has creates other issues (not autosync’d to iCloud and no ‘pencil preview marker’ on screen. So sad this is completely broken.

iPadOS 17 pdf editing is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.