Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Blink security app - notification sound changed since IOS 17 update

I just updated my iPhone 13 to IOS 17. Since the update the Blink security app notification sound changed and now is very quiet. I went to Settings/Notifications/Blink and the only option is Sounds with an on/off button - no way to change sound or increase volume.

I notified Blink and their Customer Support said to contact Apple. I told them this is not my singular problem but is a Blink problem. No go, they keep pointing at Apple.

Looks like we have a circular firing squad...

Any help anyone could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 10:04 AM

I've been in touch with Blink through e-mail, and they act like they don't even know what I'm talking about. There's no way they haven't had a million complaints about this. I told them to wake up their programmers and put some sounds in the app instead of depending on Apple to supply the sounds. Still waiting on an answer.

404 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2023 10:04 AM in response to JaysJob

I've been in touch with Blink through e-mail, and they act like they don't even know what I'm talking about. There's no way they haven't had a million complaints about this. I told them to wake up their programmers and put some sounds in the app instead of depending on Apple to supply the sounds. Still waiting on an answer.

Sep 29, 2023 3:54 AM in response to 123DMA123

I disagree. Blink is doing nothing. When was the last time they even updated their app? Most apps have updated 20 times since the last Blink update. Every game you download has it's own music and sounds. How hard can it be for Blink to add in-app sounds? I'm getting pretty tired of walking around with my Iphone duct taped to my ear so I can hear it. COL! ( crying out loud )

Oct 2, 2023 10:48 AM in response to Glenvis

My specific problem has been that since upgrading to IOS 17, ALL of my app notification sounds changed to a short, low volume "blip" sound, not just Blink. Today, after trying to change a few settings, all my notification sounds returned, and Blink now sounds like a more substantial "beh-roop" sound (kinda like a thick liquid drop). Not exactly sure what specifically fixed the problem, but here's what I did in case you wanted to try.

I double checked all the usual suspect Notifications and Sounds & Haptics settings to make sure they were set correctly and found nothing wrong. Then in Sounds & Haptics, I changed the ring tones for Text Tone and New Mail, and then set them back to default in order to test the ringtones and hopefully reset them. Then I went into Notifications and into the various individual apps whose notification sounds were not working correctly and changed their tones and then set them all back to default. I think the last app I changed was the Mail (Safari) app's sound under Notification, Customize Notifications, selected my mail provider's account name under Accounts, and noticed my Alerts setting was toggled off and I toggled that back on. Within a few minutes I received both an email and Blink notification that sounded normal. Again, I'm not sure what specifically fixed the problem, but in my case, it seems it may have been resetting the apps whose notifications were sounding distorted and turning on the Mail app's Alert on-off toggle that had been turned off during the IOS 17 install.

Your mileage may vary.... Good luck.

Oct 7, 2023 5:13 AM in response to Glenvis

I’ve contacted both blink and Apple many times for over a week. Both state the problem is on the other one. I feel like a ping pong left in the middle with no resolution. I finally tried one more time to Apple on Friday night on 10-6-23 and reached an Apple support advisor . She went through all my settings both Apple and blink and noticed there is no way to turn sound on or off in my blink settings. She made a ticked to report this to the higher ups about the problem and made the issue known that there is this site with multiple complaints about the the same things. Let’s hope these issues are resolved soon. I stressed the important of not being able to hear these security alerts could be a matter of life or death if someone tried to break in and not give us time to defend ourselves. Also told her that we have family members we use the cameras to aid us with sick family members. Hang in there guys, hopefully we get this all worked out with Apple and Blink.

Jan 14, 2024 2:16 PM in response to Glenvis

I tried some of the fixes on here with no luck. But one guy commented that you could have Siri announce your notifications. I followed the instructions I found on line and now my phone will announce my blink notifications over my phone speaker. I don’t even have to look at the phone, it announces which camera it detects motion from. You can set it for any app or just the blink app. Just go to setting, accessibility, then go to Siri near the bottom, turn on announce notifications on speaker, click the arrow for announce notifications, turn on announce notifications at the top and choose the apps that you want it to announce for.

Oct 8, 2023 7:46 AM in response to TamikaM1

I just don't understand why Blink doesn't just put their own alert sounds into their app. How hard could that be? Every game app that you download has its own sounds. They don't have to "borrow" them from Apple. I think it's just laziness on Blinks part. they should have modified the app right after this started happening. Just another billion dollar corporation who doesn't care about the little people.

Oct 15, 2023 2:05 PM in response to Glenvis

Back and forth with blink since iOS 17 update. Cannot hear new alert tone at all. Followed all suggestions from blink, nothing worked after multiple emails.

They said it’s an Apple issue not a blink issue and told me figure it out with Apple.

Still cannot hear the updated tone making my camera system pretty much useless any time not staring at phone!

Nov 21, 2023 1:44 AM in response to stephhelp

Well there’s been more recent iPhone updates (currently vs 17.1.1) yet Apple still hasn’t addressed this problem..So I’m beginning to wonder if this isn’t intentional in an effort to steer people toward Apple Security Camera products and away from Amazon products (Blink, Ring, etc.)..

On more than one occasion I’ve posted to Product Feedback - Apple

and I also question whether this link is even monitored…

Oct 8, 2023 10:48 AM in response to Darla_55

This is exactly my experience too.

I believe this is what occured, pple may or may not have told app developers that if you do not

update your apps to allow selection of a tone for your apps, then we are

going to defer to the default tone to be used which changed from the

Tri tone alert in IOS 16 to the Rebound alert in IOS 17 which is not

audible using the phones highest volume settings.

Google in turn either didn't pay attention to the changes coming using the IOS

17 upgrade or worse decided it's not worth the investment to update the

app to allow there to be an option to change the tone to something else

other than Apple's default "Rebound" tone.

Probably the same is true with Blink...don't know since I haven't spoken with them and I have a different system, but I am suffering from the same typical corporate issues of "...not my fault" when it really is their fault.

The amazing thing is we are talking about this affecting security of your property and to date no one is taking is seriously. Very Frustrating.

Dec 11, 2023 2:24 PM in response to Katana-San

The update only allows one to change the default notification sound. We really need to be able to set a sound for each and every different app. It’s a pain having the same sound for Reddit, Blink and say your banking app. Apple blames the app software engineers and vice versa, but Apple needs to allow or insist this feature is utilised in each app. This should have been resolved years ago.

Blink security app - notification sound changed since IOS 17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.