After updating to iOS 17, not able to sync data on iCloud (Advanced Data Protection has been set ON)

Hi,

I have been facing the issue since Monday, Sep 18th, when I updated my iPhone 11 Pro Max from iOS 16.x to iOS 17. In Settings, the message "iCloud Data isn't Syncing" is displayed. When I click the Resume Data Sync option, I am prompted to enter my iPhone Passcode. After entering the Passcode am prompted to Enter the Recovery Key. I don't have the 28-character Recovery Key, so I have been entering the Recovery code generated on my Recovery contact device. Once the Recovery Code is entered, I see the screen (attached) in the settings menu.

Nothing happens if I click Resume Data Sync (after entering the passcode and Recovery key as stated above). I had kept the screen overnight and in the morning there is no change in the status. I tried "Reset All Settings" and "Reset Network Settings" and tried to sync iCloud Data, but if didn't worked out to resolve the issue.

I opened the Case with Apple Support on Tuesday, but still, no solution heard back from the Apple Engineering team.

If anyone, has encountered similar issue, please help me with the resolution. Thank you.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 12:31 PM

I just updated to 17.0.3 and having this exact same issue and message. clicked on it , entered the password and nothing happens. tried restarting the phone multiple times, no help. did not sign out of icloud as worried about what some users mentioning not being able to sign back in.

any ideas how to fix it? thanks.

Similar questions

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 12:31 PM in response to Viraj_R

I just updated to 17.0.3 and having this exact same issue and message. clicked on it , entered the password and nothing happens. tried restarting the phone multiple times, no help. did not sign out of icloud as worried about what some users mentioning not being able to sign back in.

any ideas how to fix it? thanks.

Sep 28, 2023 8:13 AM in response to josephfromchester

AHa - thanks to reading other replies here I stumbled into the fix for me. Runing iOS 17.0.2 (upgraded from 16.3 two nights ago) and noticed last night photos taken with the iPhone SE (gen 3) were not appearing on the MacBook photos program. But when I went to the Settings-->Apple ID-->iCloud screen it immediately informed me I had to agree to the terms and conditions (apparently big brother wants to be bigger) - after dutifully complying the sync proceeded, even as I type this note. So, there's that.

Oct 6, 2023 10:58 AM in response to Viraj_R

I signed out and back in and the icloud sync message is gone! However, the main reason I did this update is to get a Find my Friends invitation to follow our new airtags (that my wife set up). For some reason I still cannot get the invite even though she sent it several times. again it seems to be related to this latest 17.0.3 update. if you or anyone else have any suggestions for that, I'd appreciate it. My son did the update and received the invitation without problems. thanks.

Mar 7, 2024 9:02 AM in response to Viraj_R

Solution 🤩 Finally! I just spent 50+ minutes on the phone with Apple, and I can confirm that agreeing to delete iCloud data will solve the problem and your data will remain intact.

The steps I took:

1) Click resume data sync.

2) When prompted for recovery passcode, select 'Can't Reach Recovery Contact'.

3) Select 'more information'.

4) Agree to delete the listed iCloud data. (In my case it was Messages, Health, and Safari)

5) At this point, I removed all recovery contacts listed.

6)The problem should be resolved and the resume data sync should no longer be there.

The above steps are the solution, but below are some of the other troubleshooting steps that we tried.

• I was also told at the start of troubleshooting to make sure VPN is switched off and remove any VPN profiles from the phone. General – VPN & Device Management.

• Sometimes a password-protected note could interrupt syncing.

• Try resuming the sync on cellular with the Wi-Fi off.

Sep 23, 2023 8:39 PM in response to Viraj_R

I was able to connect to my iCloud from windows pc, even from iphone via safari browser, but this didn’t change anything.

Finally I clicked that I can’t get my recovery code or I can’t reach my recovery contact (don’t remember exactly) and the popup showed that it resets my keychain, I clicked yes and everything started working, nothing was reseted or deleted.

Oct 22, 2023 4:26 AM in response to Viraj_R

Yes me too!

I upgraded from IPhone XR to 15 pro and the first issue was no health data transfered!

I have now got all old data on new phone after doing an encrypted hard backup to computer but it's crazy that there is an issue with iCloud sync.

I've had regular phone calls with the same customer service representative over the past 3 weeks and each time the software engineers have simply responded asking to reset phone and do a back up!!

Their other option was to simply loose ALL ICLOUD DATA from the past 7 years and create a brand new Apple ID - loosing all subscriptions, applecare, music purchased on iTunes back in the day etc. Wtf?!!!

Crazy. I'm glad to hear that others are having issues too as it sounds like an iOS 17 specific issue.

No issues at all on iPad OS

Jan 16, 2024 3:33 PM in response to Viraj_R

Same issue on my SE. I have ios 17.2.1. Just got off phone with support. Was on with them about 30 minutes. First rep tried some things - no help. Transferred to another rep that figured out how to resolve. I can't recall for sure everything he had me do, but I had to set up passcode for the phone (i don't lock my phone) and then I think he had me do "sync this iphone" from Settings\My name\icloud\passwords and keychain. There may have been a step where I had to turn on "Access icloud data on the web" (I normally have that off also). Just not sure because he had me try a number of things (sorry). Then went back to Settings and I think that little annoying message was gone or it was there and clicked on it and the "resume date sync" which then clearned the message. I then went back and turned off those things that I normally have off but I had to turn on to get all this done. If the above is not quite right, perhaps it will point you in right direction. At least Apple support was able to resolve the issue if you need to call them as last resort.

Oct 7, 2023 6:10 AM in response to AbuinLA

Since I updated to iOS 17 (now 17.0.3), I have the same issue with my iPhone 12 — but now limited to Contacts.

I tried everything. Toggle the Contact button in iCloud settings on the phone, rebooting, deleting everything then resetting the phone to factory and reinstalling. To no avail. It’s been a week and my Contacts are still 0.

it would seem that Apple rushed this update with iCloud backward compatibility issues for earlier phone model (the problems seem limited to iPhone 11, 12, maybe 13).

I am going to disable all advanced security option and see if that helps:

Turned off Private Relay and Advanced Data Protection. Rebooted the phone OS (turned off then back on). I went to Settings, iCloud and toggled the Contacts button off ….. and the Settings app crashed and closed.

Settings should not crashed. There is really something fishy with iCloud and iOS 17.0.2/17.0.3.

i reopened Settings (after it crashed) and toggled Contacts back on. In the Contacts settings, sync is set to Push and Automatic. Now waiting to see if sync starts. So far, still 0 (I have over 1,600 contacts on my MBP).

Oct 15, 2023 6:26 AM in response to Viraj_R

It’s definitely not anything you did. The same message happened to me. My devices arent syncing properly, I continue getting a request to sign into iCloud on my watch and I already did., the request won’t stop. The iCloud key chain is not working. Auto delete passwords option is not working, Autofill passwords is working incorrectly so u have manually go to PW’s and copy and paste opposed to automatic. My phone wants me to use a security key in which I’ve never used before nor created before as well.

I was super excited a on the 17 update, now it’s more of a headache than anything. Sad cause everything was operating so smoothly, all 3 of my devices WERE spot on.

After updating to iOS 17, not able to sync data on iCloud (Advanced Data Protection has been set ON)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.