TVOS17 Facetime & Apple TV 4k (2nd Gen) - Problem connecting to iPhone or iPad Continuity camera.

My Devices: Apple TV 4K A2169, iPhone Xs, iPad Pro 12.5" 5th Gen MHNR3LL/A

I have upgraded my devices to tvOS 17.0, iOS 17.0.1, iPadOS 17.0.1

Both the iPhone and iPad have Continuity Camera turned ON in Settings/Airplay & Handoff

When I open the Facetime App on the Apple TV 4K, I get the Continuity Camera screen with USERS showing "Other..." Clicking on "Other..." opens up the QR code.

When I scan the QR code with either my iPhone Xs or iPad Pro camera it will first show on the device camera screen (in yellow text) "Connect to Apple TV". When I click on this yellow text it then changes to "Connecting to Apple TV" for several seconds but then it goes right back to "Connect to Apple TV". I can never get past this point to complete the setup.

FWIW, continuity camera works fine with Facetime on my Mac and between my iPhone or iPad.

All the devices are connected to the same Apple ID and the same 5GHz Wi-fi network. I have signed out and back in to my Apple ID on all the devices. I have also rebooted all my devices at least once.

Has anyone had a similar issue which they solved and have any constructive suggestions for a fix before I engage Apple Support?

Thanks in advance.

rayinnj

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 1:20 PM

Same issue here with my 4K 2nd gen & iPhone 14Pro. My sister has same issue with her 4k 3rd gen & iPhone 14 Pro. When opening AppleTV FaceTime the signed on user should show up in the list, but doesn't, and when using the QR code it does not connect.

I was able to connect to FaceTime on AppleTV if I first initiated a FaceTime call on my iPhone 14 Pro, then the FaceTime icon shows up in the new TvOS 17 control panel, I navigate to there and it gives connect to iPhone as a choice. Also, before connecting I also got a message on Apple TV 'Would you like to connect to SharePlay" or something along those line.

Digging deep on this issue I have been finding we are not alone. I just don't find a common denominator for people having the issue or not. Hopefully Apple is working on it, I know several uses posted on reddit they talked directly to Apple Support so they are aware.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2023 1:20 PM in response to rayjaynj

Same issue here with my 4K 2nd gen & iPhone 14Pro. My sister has same issue with her 4k 3rd gen & iPhone 14 Pro. When opening AppleTV FaceTime the signed on user should show up in the list, but doesn't, and when using the QR code it does not connect.

I was able to connect to FaceTime on AppleTV if I first initiated a FaceTime call on my iPhone 14 Pro, then the FaceTime icon shows up in the new TvOS 17 control panel, I navigate to there and it gives connect to iPhone as a choice. Also, before connecting I also got a message on Apple TV 'Would you like to connect to SharePlay" or something along those line.

Digging deep on this issue I have been finding we are not alone. I just don't find a common denominator for people having the issue or not. Hopefully Apple is working on it, I know several uses posted on reddit they talked directly to Apple Support so they are aware.

Oct 25, 2023 1:28 PM in response to zoomie

Are you showing up on the list of "USERS"?

Before I only saw "Other..." Now I see under "USERS" my contact name and photo appearing just above "Other..." After I click on my contact name, I get a prompt on my iPhone that says "Apple TV would like to use this iPhone as a Continuity Camera." Click on that prompt to accept or decline. After I accept my iPhone connects and the iPhone's camera image is seen on a small screen on the Apple TV which then blows up to fill the entire TV screen. This allows you to add a user (+ sign) to start a Facetime call.

I haven't made a Facetime call yet over the TV, so I hope it will work without any issues.

Oct 25, 2023 1:39 PM in response to rayjaynj

No I do not show up. Just says others and when I click on it it takes me to the Continuity screen with the QR code. When i use the QR code, a little AppleTV icon shows up. When I tap on it nothing happens

I tried using the camera app of the phone and zoomed it on the QR code. Get a message saying “connect to Apple TV”……and after I tap it….says “connecting to AppleTV “ and then nothing happens.

TVOS17 Facetime & Apple TV 4k (2nd Gen) - Problem connecting to iPhone or iPad Continuity camera.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.