Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Google Maps blank screen in CarPlay since iOS 17

When I use my wired carplay connection in my VW, and only since the version ios 17.0 was downloaded, Google maps starts up blank and remains blank. Haven't had this issue before and it only happens in Google maps, all other Navigation apps are OK. It will work if I start up the app on my phone, but as soon as I close the phone app it goes blank again. Google maps does not appear to automatically start on connection. I do not have wireless carplay in my 7 yr old VW, so I cannot try that to see if the issue happens there as well. I've tried all the usual hints I've looked up online and nothing works.

Any thoughts

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 6:09 PM

15 replies

Dec 14, 2023 7:04 AM in response to emilio-chicago

Mine didn't work at first with IOS 17 and I did the following along with the most recent IOS updates:

1) Be sure to update the software for the head unit in your car.

2) Also - check and see if Google Maps comes up in CarPlay when you are running the Google Maps app on your phone. (Mine did this at first, so I just kept it running on the phone.)

3) Be sure to check for most recent updates on the Google Maps app too.

Sep 23, 2023 6:50 PM in response to Beverley Holland

I’ve experienced this as well but even before iOS 17. I’m running Google Maps 6.85.0 on iPhone OS 16.7. This behavior actually started on Google Maps 6.84.0 on iPhone OS 16.6.1. What happens is that when I connect my iPhone to either of my cars via USB cable and launch Google Maps from the CarPlay screen, I see a blank screen with just the Google Maps Search button in the upper left corner. If I touch the Search button and either enter a destination or select a saved one (such as Home) I get a message that Google Maps can’t find directions to that location. If I then launch Google Maps on the phone, the maps render on the CarPlay screen and I’m able to map to my destinations. I’ve tried the previous trick of unplugging the USB cable from the iPhone and plugging it back in but no luck. If I try this multiple times I sometimes experience behavior where on one out of ever 3-5 tries the maps may start to render and then the screen blanks. Any ideas?

Sep 24, 2023 5:07 PM in response to bradm0

I have the same problem and it performs the same whether I use my wireless CarPlay adapter or the Subaru installed wired version in my 2022 Subaru Forester. Seems to me that Apple decided we all needed to use Apple Maps, which does not give a satellite view in CarPlay - which is why I use Google Maps instead (I am an outdoorsman!). I checked all the settings and checked updates on Google Maps App. Waze (a Google product) comes up fine.

Sep 27, 2023 8:33 PM in response to Beverley Holland

I had this same problem. I updated iOS to 16.7 and still had the same problem.

I ended up deleting Google Maps, doing a hard reboot of my iPhone, then reinstalling Google Maps.

This worked for me.

I've seen other posts where people say you have to enable "Always Allow" on sharing your location with Google Maps but I just left it set on "While Using The App" and it seems to work just fine.

Dec 16, 2023 8:12 AM in response to Beverley Holland

Same issue here. When using CarPlay all of the sudden I get Google Map turn-by-turn directions but no map. The Google Maps is version 6.96.1 (updated about 1 week ago. Google Maps works fine on my iPhone 15 Pro Max. But when I use the iPhone 15 Pro Max in my automobile, I get turn-by-turn directions but no map.

I was told I should delete Google Maps and reload it - but that doesn't seem like a viable solution. Hope someone can shed some light on this soon.

Dec 16, 2023 10:01 AM in response to thor48

You can delete Google Maps and reinstall it without losing any data. At least that was my experience on iPhone 14 Pro. Doing a hard reboot before reinstalling maps was part of the process.

Letting Google Maps run on your phone before starting Carplay may work if you don't want to delete the app.

Why this is happening is anyone's guess.

Jan 25, 2024 1:02 AM in response to Beverley Holland

Been driving me mad for ages. Had this issue for a year or two on my iPhone 2020 SE across several vehicles. I eventually updated iOS to 17 on that device, but the issue persisted. I just put it down to the age of the phone. I changed my SE for iPhone 15 Pro a few weeks ago. I set that up as a "clean" device - ie manually installed apps, rather than a phone-to-phone transfer from the old device ..... and still the issue persists.

I've kinda given up now. If I open my in-car system and then unlock the iPhone before connecting the USB, I can see Google maps in full screen mode and use it for nav, but in multi-screen mode, it still remains blank. No issues at all with any other CarPlay apps, just Google maps.

May 5, 2024 3:32 AM in response to mariusmuntean

Same problem on 15 pro max, ios 17.4.1, gmaps 6.113, all other apps fully updated. Brand new phone, so no old configs to clear.

Doesn't work until the phone is unlocked. Exactly same problem with all non apple apps.

I tried :

Sygic Nav and Gmaps(doesn't get location),

YTmusic, shows Playlist and other details but doesn't start playback

Amazon music, same as above, doesn't start playback

Spotify, same playback issue.

All apps work if they are opened on phone before connecting to Carplay. And they start working if loaded from Carplay screen and you unlock the phone.

All these apps stop working if you disconnect from the cable and reconnect if even the apps were previously loaded. Need to unlock the phone again.

All this while, all the apple apps keep working fine. 😓

Google Maps blank screen in CarPlay since iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.