Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Ultra 2 VERY dim inside and dark enviroments..

Hello.

I just bought a very expensive Ultra 2 Watch. I am happy with the watch overall, but what totally ruins the experience is it is SO dim inside and in dark enviroments! I can hardly read it. There is no override available and the brightness is set to full. My son has a Series 6 and that is brighter in the same conditions. This cant be real? This so called "ULTRA" is more weak in brightness performance than an older regular Apple Watch. If there is something I HATE it is factory controlled auto stuff like this! We know the watch can be brighter so WHY on earth is it locked to a weak sensor that is WAY to low calibrated? I know its unfortunately not a hardware issue as ALL other Ultra Watch suffer from this ridicolous factory setting. Why can I not disable this auto dim or at least raise the lower minimum brightness. This is a disaster, as I can hardly read the watch in my office and living room where we have low light usually. This is almost a RETURN ISSUE for me! The fact that the user cannot set this setting when I bought and paid for the watch is a disgrace! And for those that reply its working as intended I can see by a search that hundreds of other users complain about this "error". This HAS to be corrected in a software update ASAP!

Apple Watch Ultra 2, watchOS 10

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 9:32 PM

Just received my Apple Watch Ultra 2 today and loved it until nighttime. I cannot read my text messages at all because it’s so dim and the brightness feature does not do much. Please re-calibrate!!! This is unacceptable for a Watch at this price.

611 replies

Sep 26, 2023 5:31 AM in response to LasseK1981

Same for me. It’s dimmer than my previous series 7. I can’t read it in a dark environment at all! I hate it. I have the brightest turned up to the max setting and it is still useless. I purchased this watch for its enhanced brightness as advertised, but this is so awful I’ll have to rerun it. Very dissaoointed. False advertisements Apple!

Nov 24, 2023 2:24 PM in response to Alan160m

There has been absolute 0 improvement to the brightness since launch. I am the OP of this post and I still have issues were I simply cant read it at all. Its been 2 software updates with zero improvements. I dont know what the other user/ poster is talking about. Its is in no way acceptable level.

I am 42 years old and have normal eyes. But I cannot read it- its too dim. The whole "Ultra" thing with weak under powered brightness is really lame if you ask me!

What I expect when buying ULTRA parts like to my PC is the best of the best. And the Watch can simply not qualify for that other than totally disappoints with subpar regular Watch 6 (my sons) in evening night brightness... It seriously feels like a scam! I dont see also how someone can sell the "down to 1 nits" display as a feature when basically no one on the planet can read in 1 nits. I dont see why Apple just unlock the brightness to manual or better disable the ambient sensor like I always do on my phone. (I hate auto brightness) and then just make a notification on the screen saying "Beware that unlocking this the battery life will significantly reduce" which is perfectly fine by me! That is how we ALWAYS have managed our phones.

Sep 23, 2023 3:21 AM in response to liltechdude

Hello. Yes you are right- it almost seems like it dosent matter with this brightness slider! And I know the watch can be ultra bright IF you take a flashlight and light onto it. :( I just HATE these factory locked settings where "they know whats best for you!". But this is an essential thing for me to use! What if I was 70 years and had a bad vision! I really cant understand Apples way of thinking here! So I contacted support and they say the best we can do is write this complaint/ request at this feedback page which I did from two email accounts! ;) So PLEASE file a request or hardware issue! I did one on both topics!

Feedback - Watch - Apple

Sep 24, 2023 6:51 AM in response to LasseK1981

I just spoke with Apple and they are aware of the issue. On the face of the watch if you hold down the screen to edit the face you will see an Edit button> Tap the Edit button and on the top of the screen there is a option to slide left or right to choose night mode. Once you are in this option use the Digital Crown to scroll it to off.

This will not turn off the auto dim just the night mode where it goes red.

Oct 27, 2023 8:45 PM in response to nectario

I use mine to monitor my blood glucose as I am a diabetic a couple of nights ago well early in the morning I had an alarm go off on my iPhone saying my blood glucose was low I struggled to read it on my watch and my phone was the other side of the room I misread it because it was so dim and thought that it was OK just a false alarm well it wasn't I ended up being severely ill on the verge of calling an ambulance because they were so low and misread the dim display was the cause!! Being low is called a hypo (hypoglycaemia) I was so ill, and now I'm angry with the watch, too late to return it now. You can die from a hypo (Prolonged hypoglycaemia can lead to encephalopathy, brainstem damage, cardio-respiratory arrest), and death I was very lucky, my wife recognised the symptoms and gave me half a bag of jelly babies to bring my sugars up.

Sep 24, 2023 9:54 PM in response to LasseK1981

We are all having this intentional design problem/decision of too dim a display to be useful when you want to use it in a darker environment.

I get the ultra dim config when not in use but raised to use or adjusting the controls should or must have a user preferred setting for the dark room scenario. Even just double the current max brightness might be enough. This would be easy for Apple to code up as another selection in the display brightness setting for dark mode.

Do not respond with a working as designed and battery life choices. The watch is used for moments so a tiny percentage of reduced battery power is acceptable.

We all spent $800+ on this luxury item

and our older models do not have this issue. I say issue as enough unhappy customers means you need to make a change. It is so obvious we all cannot fathom how this got released and it seems an endemic problem on other models.

This issue really does reduce the quality and overall experience of the watch. Having owned enough Apple products over the years, it seems they need outside users to test their products who are not the design engineers that clearly have different goals and will not use the product.

I’m an engineer and I would fix this ASAP.

I like the overall product but this has me seriously questioning my purchase.

Please post this on your UX groups window for next update release.

Thanks

Feb 9, 2024 7:51 AM in response to LasseK1981

TEMPORARY SOLUTION UNTIL SOFTWARE FIX

-Make sure auto brightness is on.

-Place your watch face under a light so auto brightness makes your screen full brightness.

-Tell Siri to turn auto brightness off.

This will lock in your brightness to the max. For some reason, when you turn auto brightness off, it locks in your brightness to whatever it was at the time.

Oct 3, 2023 12:18 PM in response to th1ef

I like how Apple spent a year designing a product with the only change being a “brighter” screen which is actually not readable after 7pm because it’s too dim with no options to configure the brightness. Doesn’t anyone ever ask these questions before the software is released for final? or provide any input on things that should be added / changed or simply don’t make sense.

Oct 6, 2023 12:49 AM in response to dggontan

Yes there are no way to turn off auto dim and "max" setting is a joke with auto dim in low light conditions or even just evening.

I cannot read the display either which is a HUGE issue of course. There is nothing "Ultra" over weak unreadable display.

PLEASE everybody- file a complaint as this is gaining massive momentum.

Feedback - Watch - Apple

Oct 27, 2023 7:54 PM in response to th1ef

I list below the safety hazards of this issue not being addressed by Appl:

1. Distraction: Straining to see a dim display can divert a person's attention away from their surroundings. This can be particularly hazardous if they're in a situation where awareness of the environment is essential, such as walking on a dimly lit street or staircase.
  2. Tripping Hazard: If someone is looking at their watch and not paying attention to where they are walking in a dark area, they could trip over unseen obstacles on the ground, leading to potential injury.
  3. Mistaken Input: If the display is too dim to see clearly, users might mistakenly tap or interact with the wrong app or feature, which could lead to unintended consequences. For example, if a user intended to turn on a flashlight function but accidentally activated a loud alarm, it could startle them or others nearby.
  4. Decreased Response Time: In emergency situations, a dim display can delay a user's response time. For instance, if someone needs to call for help or use a specific safety feature on the watch, struggling to see the interface can waste valuable seconds.
  5. Misjudgment of Time: In contexts where timekeeping is crucial, such as taking medication or catching public transport, not being able to clearly see the time due to a dim display can lead to errors in judgment or missed schedules.
  6. Potential Security Risk: If someone is trying to discreetly check a notification in a dark area, a dim display might force them to bring the watch closer to their face. This action could inadvertently draw attention to them, making them a potential target for thieves or other malicious individuals.
  7. Battery Concerns: Continuously trying to adjust brightness or frequently checking to see if the display is visible might drain the battery more quickly. A dead watch battery in a situation where the watch's features are needed can be a safety concern.
  8. Misleading Information: If only parts of the display are visible due to the dimness, a user might misinterpret information, which can lead to incorrect actions based on incomplete data.
  9. Reduced Visibility for Others: If someone relies on their watch's light in a dark environment to make themselves visible (for example, while cycling or jogging at night), a dim display could reduce their visibility to others, increasing the risk of accidents.

Apple Watch Ultra 2 VERY dim inside and dark enviroments..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.