Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

After updating to iOS 17 apps on my iPhone freeze regularly

Since updating to ios17 several apps (i.e.: Instragram, Gmail, Slack, Arcade Games) freeze completely and become unresponsive. Tried several things (uninstall/reinstall, Vol up Vol down restart iphone...) but the issue remains the same. At the same time Notifications are behaving weirdly (sometimes not showing, sometimes not going away).

Anyone with similar issues have found a solution? The only way out remaining is downgrading to ios16.

Thanks for any help outthere.

Chris

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2024 11:08 AM

As of February, this is still happening. iPhone 13 ProMax with iOS 17.4 and iMessage, Instagram, and Chrome among others will not allow me to type responses..

Not really a fan of a complete wipe and restore but I hope that is not the only solution....

27 replies

Dec 18, 2023 10:37 AM in response to christof_milan

Same issue here, iPhone 13. Doesn’t seem to be happening on the iPad Pro.

Some apps will eventually become responsive, others require a reboot — which then makes other apps unresponsive. Mostly these are Apple apps, Files, Numbers, Notes, Safari, etc.

Some launch to a black screen (my wallpaper?), others seem to launch to the main app screen, but the touch interface doesn’t work. I assume the image on the screen is probably just a screenshot taken when the app was last switched away from, and that’s why it doesn’t respond to touch.

I should have stayed on iOS 15. It worked fine. This is just ridiculous.

Nov 4, 2023 9:04 AM in response to plucks

The same has been happening with me. It is pretty much a daily occurrence. It appears that the apps don’t exactly freeze but they just stop receiving touch input.

Other than restarting the app, another solution I have found is through some combination of switching foreground applications and locking the phone. Sometimes I need to do only one of the two and other times I need to do both.

I would’ve expected 17.1 to have fixed the issue but sadly no.

Sep 23, 2023 6:54 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks for your answer - however, I doubt the big behemoths like Google and Meta (who provide the apps most affected) are the ones that lack the updates. They had lots of times and I have downloaded the latest updates, that arrived after the update. So, I don't expect this to be the solution (in the meanwhile I keep checking for updates of the concerned apps).

After updating to iOS 17 apps on my iPhone freeze regularly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.