You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple ID photo won’t change on settings, iCloud.com, and “Name & Photo” setting on Messages in settings.

I want to change my apple id photo from a memoji to my normal photo. However, when i try to, it appears for a second, then when I leave and see it again, it reverts to my memoji apple ID photo. I was able to change my contact photo, not apple id photo. I tried restarting, signing out, kicking signed in sessions and logging in again, nothing works. Please help

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 2:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2023 12:55 PM

I've been experiencing the same issue you mentioned with my new MacBook Pro M3. Just like you, my profile photo wasn't showing up on this device, even though it appeared correctly on all my other Apple devices, including my iPhone 13, iPad Air 4, Mac Studio M1, and MacMini M1.

I managed to find a workaround that fixed the issue for me. Here's what I did:

1. Go to 'Settings' and then select 'Users & Groups'.
  2. You'll see the correct photo there. Click on your photo.
  3. Below, you should see your profile photo with editing options. Slightly zoom into your profile photo.
  4. After adjusting it, click on the 'Save' button.

Once I did this, my profile photo started appearing everywhere on my new MacBook M3.

Give it a try and I hope it works for you too. Good Luck!

37 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 2, 2023 12:55 PM in response to OriginalSpec

I've been experiencing the same issue you mentioned with my new MacBook Pro M3. Just like you, my profile photo wasn't showing up on this device, even though it appeared correctly on all my other Apple devices, including my iPhone 13, iPad Air 4, Mac Studio M1, and MacMini M1.

I managed to find a workaround that fixed the issue for me. Here's what I did:

1. Go to 'Settings' and then select 'Users & Groups'.
  2. You'll see the correct photo there. Click on your photo.
  3. Below, you should see your profile photo with editing options. Slightly zoom into your profile photo.
  4. After adjusting it, click on the 'Save' button.

Once I did this, my profile photo started appearing everywhere on my new MacBook M3.

Give it a try and I hope it works for you too. Good Luck!

Sep 23, 2023 2:48 PM in response to Raicya

None of these helped. What I do is I click my profile in the settings, however there is no “Edit” button on my profile picture. So once I click on my profile, I select the image and hit “done”. now it looks like it changed, but when i refresh, it’s back to normal. all content and privacy restrictions are allowed. with icloud, it refreshed and still shows the old profile picture

Dec 14, 2023 7:47 AM in response to OriginalSpec

Im not sure if anyone else has suggested exactly this, but if youre still having this issue, try going to the settings on your phone>contacts>my info, and try creating a new contact with the picture you want. Now if you select the new contact and the picture appears everywhere else in iCloud, it's an issue with your contact card in iOS 17. Now go change the "my info" contact back to your main/original contact because we're done with that test. Go to your main contact for yourself in the contacts app>edit>delete the poster/picture you no longer want and select the one you want. Mess around with it a little if it doesnt work the first, restart your phone or swipe out of the app etc. This is just what worked for me today when I had trouble with my picture not changing properly in iCloud.

Sep 23, 2023 2:42 PM in response to OriginalSpec

See -> If your Apple ID is greyed out in Settings

If your Apple ID is greyed out in Settings - Apple Support

⤵️

If you can't click your Apple ID

1. Go to Settings, then tap Screen Time.
  2. Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions. 
  3. If Content & Privacy Restrictions is turned on, scroll down to the Allow Changes section.
  4. Tap Account Changes, and set it to Allow. If asked, enter your Screen Time passcode. 

If you can't click other options in Settings 

1. Go to Settings, then tap Screen Time.
  2. Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions.
  3. If Content & Privacy Restrictions is turned on, scroll down and check if any settings are set to Don't Allow. 
  4. If so, tap the setting, then choose Allow. If asked, enter your Screen Time passcode. 

or:

See -> Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

• 👉 Check restrictions -> tap Settings -> Screen Time -> Content & Privacy -> scroll to Allow Changes.

or

If you have a MDM profile, you need to contact your company - IT department.

Mar 1, 2024 1:50 AM in response to OriginalSpec

I was able to get mine Updated - I Have been experiencing the same . It took a few steps.

I did a network update . I did a soft reset . I updated my Apple ID password. I turned off WiFi & Bluetooth. Then

1. Go to settings
  2. click on your name at the top - this takes you to your phone Apple ID account
  3. Touch your photo
  4. choose your picture

Thus worked for me. Please let me know if this helped anyone else. 😊

Apr 22, 2024 12:49 PM in response to Raicya

The reason why this isn’t working is because when you updated your picture, cellular or WiFi wasn’t enabled. To fix:

1. enable cellular data or WiFi by going to settings then cellular or settings than WiFi
  2. click on your picture under settings, change it to what you want it to be again
  3. click done or save
  4. go back to settings and it’s changed

Apple ID photo won’t change on settings, iCloud.com, and “Name & Photo” setting on Messages in settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.