My AirTag is with me but won’t play sound and says unreachable

My AirTag is with me but won’t play sound and says unreachable but it’s in my hand

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 9:08 AM

It is mine. Has been away from the phone for an extended time I have just replaced the battery. It was bought from apple. How do I recover it?

6 replies

Sep 24, 2023 8:46 AM in response to Carnoustie63

Do you have this particular AirTag paired with the iPhone that you are trying to initiate having it play a sound?

Did you purchase this AirTag new directly from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller?

The fact that it is unreachable is another issue. The following are potential reasons why:

• Out of Range: Most likely, not the case here since you have both devices near each other.
  • Low Battery: If the AirTag's battery is low or depleted, you may see this message.
  • Interference: Bluetooth signals can be disrupted by physical obstacles or interference from other devices. If there are obstacles between your Apple device and the AirTag or if there's a lot of Bluetooth interference in the area, it can cause the AirTag to be unreachable.
  • AirTag Is Offline: If an AirTag is away from its paired Apple device for an extended period of time, it may go into an "offline" mode. In this mode, it won't communicate its location to other Apple devices nearby, making it appear as unreachable.
  • Privacy and Security Features: Apple has implemented privacy and security features to prevent unauthorized tracking. If an AirTag is detected to be moving with someone other than its owner, it may enter an "unreachable" state to protect the privacy of the person carrying it. Of course, I'm assuming that you are the original owner of this tag.

My AirTag is with me but won’t play sound and says unreachable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.