Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Apple Watch Series 8 Doesn't Unlock Macbook Air 15"

My series 8 watch (running 10.0.1) will work for awhile unlocking my Macbook Air 15" (running 13.6), but after an overnight of being asleep this feature seems to turn off automatically. When I try to turn it back on in settings, the computer says that the watch needs to be signed in to icloud. But my watch IS signed in to icloud. I've restarted both my watch and my computer to no avail. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 6:29 PM

Follow the instructions in that Apple Support document, including the three steps under If you need help.

Step 2 (Restart your Mac) often overlooked.

If you followed all of them, my recommendation is to do nothing for a while. Wait at least 24 hours, and then try again. Because that's what I did, and it just spontaneously started working again. Yes it was on my wrist and unlocked. Yes I was signed into iCloud on everything. Yes all system requirements were met, 2FA enabled, everything exactly as it states. Having exhausted all those steps there was nothing else to do so I literally did nothing. No signing out / in... nothing. It just decided to start working again.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 6:29 PM in response to Evbo

Follow the instructions in that Apple Support document, including the three steps under If you need help.

Step 2 (Restart your Mac) often overlooked.

If you followed all of them, my recommendation is to do nothing for a while. Wait at least 24 hours, and then try again. Because that's what I did, and it just spontaneously started working again. Yes it was on my wrist and unlocked. Yes I was signed into iCloud on everything. Yes all system requirements were met, 2FA enabled, everything exactly as it states. Having exhausted all those steps there was nothing else to do so I literally did nothing. No signing out / in... nothing. It just decided to start working again.

Apple Watch Series 8 Doesn't Unlock Macbook Air 15"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.