Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Cannot Invite Resident to HomeKit on iOS 17.0.1/2

I am creating an updated version of this post which seems to now occur in almost the exact same manner on devices running iOS 17.01/2 and iPadOS 17.0.1

The issue is as follows:

If you create a new Home on an Apple device and then attempt to share the home with someone else, there is no button to share the home.

This is an identical issue to the prior post linked above, however, it now is occurring on iOS/iPadOS 17.0.1/2

I ran through this with Apple Support and there does not seem to be a workaround. I am however interested if others can replicate this on their end, or if anyone has found a workaround.

I've already tried:

• Removed and recreating a new home
  • Reinstalling the Home App
  • Logging out and back in with iCloud
  • Disabling and re-enabling the Home settings in iCloud
  • Restarting devices and resetting devices
  • Attempted with different Apple IDs and different devices (can reproduce on 3 different Apple IDs and 5 different devices on my end).
  • Reset Network Settings
  • Attempted with a Home Hub set up (as well as attempted without a Home Hub set up)

Thanks so much

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2023 8:15 PM

I’m trying to add someone to my home and all I have is LIFX bulbs. Updated to the latest iOS and the option to invite people has disappeared. If I need to have an Apple TV or HomePod to be able to invite people to my home on the Home app to turn the lights on and off, that is profoundly terrible. God help us if this is the case.

Similar questions

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2023 8:15 PM in response to Da BomB

I’m trying to add someone to my home and all I have is LIFX bulbs. Updated to the latest iOS and the option to invite people has disappeared. If I need to have an Apple TV or HomePod to be able to invite people to my home on the Home app to turn the lights on and off, that is profoundly terrible. God help us if this is the case.

Oct 17, 2023 12:53 PM in response to Da BomB

Since iOS17.0.X, I too have been unable to add people to HomeKit via iOS. If I invite the Apple ID, and accept, it says "Joining Home" for about 5 minutes and then says "Unable to accept the invitation."

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully invited and accepted invitations from and to iOS since iOS17?

More detail below:

Background

The following is relevant:

• All iOS17 devices are running 17.0.3
  • All HomeKit settings have been upgraded to the latest architecture on all devices
  • The HomeHub is an Apple TV - this is also on the latest tvOS
  • The Macs are running macOS Sonoma 14.0

Behaviour

When inviting a new member to the Home, it says "Invitation Pending" to the new home user.

The new home user receives the invitation. Clicking 'Accept' results in a long "Joining home" message which eventually disappears and then displays a "Unable to accept invitation" prompt.

Canceling and resending the invitation results in the same behaviour.

When sending the invitation from iOS or macOS, and *accpeting* the invitation on macOS, the behaviour is as expected and the member joins the home.

After waiting several hours and eventually rebooting the phone, the Home appears on iOS.

Troubleshooting Steps

I've undertaken the following troubleshooting steps:

• Rebooting both iOS devices
  • Rebooting the HomeHub (Apple TV)
  • Removing the home (painful as ****) on both phones
  • Using the Apple Support profile to reset the home on both phones
  • Uninstalling and re-installing the Home app on all devices
  • Factory Resetting all Bridges and third-party devices
  • Performing the above in varying orders
  • Disabling Home iCloud Sync and re-enabling it
  • Factory resetting the HomeHub (Apple TV)
  • I’ve tried inviting four people - three unsuccessfully on iOS, one successfully via macOS

The only step I haven't tried, I don't think it'll fix it, and I'm loathed to do it because of the pain, is factory resetting both iOS devices.

Apple Support

I've contacted Apple Support about this issue. They have been totally useless. I'm waiting for yet another call back, after sending them screen recordings of the processes above on pretty much every single device. They've failed to return the calls three times now.

Nov 1, 2023 9:33 PM in response to Da BomB

I have been working with senior apple support for a month now.

I have been asked to replicate this issue 4 times, and uploaded logs and screen recordings 4 times (each time it take 1 hour)..

Today they just informed me that my Duo Mobile is also interfering with the logs, I need to replicate this issue for the 5th time and upload logs and screen recording for the 5th time...

Should I just give up and set up a new home??

Nov 30, 2023 12:39 AM in response to CraigG

Follow-up: so my issue here resolved, but I don’t know specifically how. What I do know: we left the house for a week and the Apple TVs were all off. When we got back, to our surprise my wife could see and interact with the HomeKit home.

Which I realise isn’t amazingly helpful. (“Go on holiday for a week” isn’t exactly tech support step one, as much as it would be a lovely step one.) But perhaps a more extended period of away time could work for some people. (So: turn off all the Apple TVs and HomePods for a week. Put the phones on cellular rather than Wi-Fi.) I dunno.

Dec 8, 2023 11:10 PM in response to Da BomB

The method to resolve the issue of not being able to invite others to join the Apple HomeKit without reactivating all smart devices is as follows: In the Home app, go to Home Settings, add a new home, then add a central device. Invite the person who couldn't join initially to this new home. Once they successfully join, you can return to your original home and invite the person who couldn't join before!

Oct 28, 2023 10:01 AM in response to il3olt

As per Apple's support documents:

"If Home has been upgraded to the new Home architecture, you must set up a home hub to share control of your home." Share control of your home - Apple Support

If you then follow the links it further states: "You must set up a home hub to add Matter accessories to the Home app. Thread-enabled Matter accessories require a Thread-enabled home hub, such as HomePod mini or Apple TV 4K (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Ethernet, or a supported third-party border router." Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

I was personally finding that using an Apple TV was unreliable in resolving this issue. However, the HomePod mini did the trick.

I do not know if the Hue Base is enough for a Home Hub. I had my own difficulties getting my Hue system back online after this, but was able to resolve it with a series of restarts. I did not attempt sharing the home with *only* the Hue base connected.

Oct 9, 2023 9:38 AM in response to hbcrunch

This is helpful to know. I continue to have this issue on my end, and wondered if there might have been a specific HomeKit device causing the issue, but based on this information (and personally having nothing from Lutron) I think that helps rule that out as a possibility.

@il3olt: I have been updated to the new architecture for some time now, but, this does seem to happen only with the update to 17.0.2/3

Oct 9, 2023 9:33 AM in response to il3olt

I have been working with apple tech support on this issue. I too am unable to invite people to the home app - even after I updated the Home app architecture on both my iPhone and my son's iPhone. I am simply running Lutron Caseta Bridge 2 as my hub. I am not using Apple Tv or Apple home pod as the hub. I am waiting to hear back from tech support on my case and I hope to share a solution.

All phones are now running iOS 17.0.3 with updated Home App architecture.

hopefully there is a fix soon.

heath

Oct 16, 2023 7:57 AM in response to Da BomB

Never really did much HomeKit here until the past week. My initial Home in theory can be shared, but my wife only once received the invite and it was then rejected by the app. Since then, nothing.

No new home created by either of us has the means to share. The option simply doesn’t exist. Every piece of kit is on iOS 17 or equivalent (and includes iPhones, two Apple TVs, some HomePods, etc).

Attempted remedies here: remove/recreate new home; delete/reinstall Home; use that profile doing the rounds to remove HomeKit settings; device restarts.

Oct 17, 2023 1:14 PM in response to langdalenerd

Quick note here, I’d encourage you to give Apple Support another call and ask to speak to a senior advisor - then ask them to initiate a screen share on your device. That will allow them to see the issues in real time.

I suspect that this is all an issue on the back end and until they receive enough calls to get their Engineering team on it, we will be without a solution.

Oct 27, 2023 7:30 PM in response to Da BomB

So I ~finally~ resolved it on my end in iOS 17.1.

I ended up just completely wiping out both my own HomeKit setup and her HomeKit setup. I use the config file to remove all remains, and then restarted the devices. I found that I actually had to do this twice, and the second time I first removed and deleted the homes and then used the profile reset again.

I then created a new Home setup, added a SINGLE HomePod as the Home Hub, let it update, configure, etc. for about 20 minutes and then send the invitation to my partner.

This went back and forth a few times as the invite was not being accepted immediately on her end. Eventually, it did invite her, but it didn't show up on all of her devices. That was resolved by logging out of iCloud, restarting, and then logging back in on other devices.

Did this dance for around 2 hours, and it finally worked. I now have it stably connected and am resetting and re-adding each additional device one-by-one.

Painful process, but I am glad it is back up and running...

Dec 8, 2023 11:11 PM in response to Da BomB

The method to resolve the issue of not being able to invite others to join the Apple HomeKit without reactivating all smart devices is as follows: In the Home app, go to Home Settings, add a new home, then add a central device. Invite the person who couldn't join initially to this new home. Once they successfully join, you can return to your original home and invite the person who couldn't join before!

Cannot Invite Resident to HomeKit on iOS 17.0.1/2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.