Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

activation lock problems.

I have an iPhone 4s that, out of the blue, has the activation lock enabled. I read in an article on Apple's official website that it can be disabled by removing the device from Find My. Even though I removed it, the activation lock is still enabled! Why is this happening to me?

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 4:43 PM

jonasilver137 wrote:

Also, how do I find out which apple id I need to use for the activation lock? Since I resetted my apple id password and it still says invalid password.

You said you removed it from find my. How did you do that if you didn't know what Apple ID it was locked to?

Additional note: You may need to force it into recovery mode and restore iOS after removing it from find my.

Last thing: Even if you manage to do all of this successfully, that device will only be marginally useful as it's obsolete and won't be able to download anything from the App Store since developers no longer support it.

It's also no longer usable as a phone in most of the world as the carriers require devices that support Voice Over LTE, which means an iPhone 6 or newer.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 4:43 PM in response to jonasilver137

jonasilver137 wrote:

Also, how do I find out which apple id I need to use for the activation lock? Since I resetted my apple id password and it still says invalid password.

You said you removed it from find my. How did you do that if you didn't know what Apple ID it was locked to?

Additional note: You may need to force it into recovery mode and restore iOS after removing it from find my.

Last thing: Even if you manage to do all of this successfully, that device will only be marginally useful as it's obsolete and won't be able to download anything from the App Store since developers no longer support it.

It's also no longer usable as a phone in most of the world as the carriers require devices that support Voice Over LTE, which means an iPhone 6 or newer.

activation lock problems.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.