Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Custom ringtones only show under Ringtones section and not on anything else like Text Tone, New Voicemail, etc.

Has anyone had issues trying to set custom ringtones for other apps such as your default text tone or new voicemail tone?

The correct format files are on my phone and show up fine under the Ringtones section in Sound & Haptics, but anywere else you can't see the other files. They are well below the 30 second limit and in the correct format. I noticed this before the latet iOS update as well and thought nothing of it. I've checked on setting certain tones for contacts and am only able to set the rigntone and not the text tone.

At this point I'm trying to get my chirp tone back for text messages and have that for my default tone. I tried changing it to another tone and trying to look for the tone I wanted, but couldn't find it and tapped on another tone which essentially wiped it out. I am now ony able to select the stock/factory tones.

In summary, files only show up under the Ringtones section and not anywhere else to set for text, voicemail, etc.

Phone: iPhone 13 Pro

iOS: 17.0.1

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 2:15 AM

3 replies

Oct 8, 2023 12:32 AM in response to Fotiosd

Hello. I found this from another thread on here. It involves using GarageBand to import the file and setting as a default tone. I used it for iMessage because the defaults ain’t cutting it.

Link to the thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255135346?login=true&page=22

Link to the thread and video explaining the process:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1532881-custom-text-tones-are-missing-in-ios-17-one-solution-we-got-working/

I was able to get mine set up after following it. Not the most ideal way, but until they “fix this bug” this will have to do.

🤷

Custom ringtones only show under Ringtones section and not on anything else like Text Tone, New Voicemail, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.