Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple wireless Magic keyboard connected to MacBook Pro stopped working after upgrading to macOS Big Sur

The system offered to upgrade to the latest version of Big Sur 11.7.10 and as soon as the computer restarted the Magic keyboard wireless (2015) connected to my MacBook Pro (mid 2014) stopped working. The keyboard Bluetooth appeared but it did not connect at all. The keyboard was fully charged and on. I have deleted the Bluetooth profile of the keyboard, trying to connect the keyboard as a new keyboard (bluetooth keyboard link in System preferences), It did not work either.

Any time I reset the Keyboard, the computer finds the keyboard, however as soon as I click to connect, the computer is not able to. I left hours the computer and with the keyboard on. Nothing happened.

It is frustrating that Apple provides an update that does not work with its own products.

Does someone deal with this issue before and knows how to solve it? is Apple support able to provide a solution to this issue created by its directly intervention offering an update that makes my keyboard useless?

thanks,

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 6:23 AM

When you go into Utilities >> System Information >> Bluetooth

What maybe be appearing regarding the Builtin Bluetooth Module of this computer

If it is showing nothing - this could be a Hardware Issue with the Computer and not the Keyboard

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 25, 2023 7:15 AM in response to Carkis77

Yep and it happen on the Magic Keyboard 2 ( rechargeable battery) and Magic Mouse 2 ( rechargeable battery) only in macOS 13.6 Ventura

Had to Hardwire the Keyboard via the Apple Supplied cable I thought, but did not work

Pulled out a trusty USB Keyboard and connected and same with a USB Mouse

Removed the KB and Mouse from System Setting ( Preferences in Big Sur )

Now the Cabled Keyboard appeared and connected not more issues.

Did the same for the Bluetooth Mouse and again all good since then

Sep 26, 2023 5:39 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks, unfortunately it hasn't worked. My keyboard is only Bluetooth with no cable plug. I plugged an HP spare keyboard and it worked, I deleted the Magic Keyboard Bluetooth profile, however when I tried to connect it, same thing than before, the MacBook pro sees the keyboard, tries to connect and it freezes "connecting".

I have also reset the computer as support told me, reinstalling the macOS Big Sur 11.7.10 (the one available) and same thing, the trackpad is recognised immediately and the rest of Bluetooth devices, but not the keyboard.

If there's no other suggestions, I will try to delete all and reinstall,

Sep 28, 2023 2:34 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks, I reinstalled Big Sur three times more and every time, I repeated the same process, resetting Blue tooth deleting profiles and deleting and creating again the profiles for the Bluetooth devices, and suddenly the computer connected to the Keyboard. Bizarre! but it worked, it is a pity that an update which is thought to help users became that nightmare.

Thanks P. Phillips again

Sep 28, 2023 2:40 AM in response to Carkis77

Welcome and thank you too.

There are times when an update or upgrade can cause unforeseen seen issues, as both you and I have experienced

The important element is to reach out on these Forums for assistance or tips.

There are a Hugh Host of very knowledgeable Contributors willing to give it a go.

Happy Computing

Apple wireless Magic keyboard connected to MacBook Pro stopped working after upgrading to macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.