Is iOS 17 compatible with itunes 12.8.2.3 under macOS Sierra 10.12.6?

macOS Sierra 10.12.6 iMac 27” Late 2014 iTunes 12.8.2.3

iPhone 11Pro IOS 17.0.2

iPhone charges attached to iMac and iPhone also works properly with Photos on my iMac.

iTunes does not show the iPhone connected to my iMac. (But iTunes worked with iOS 16.7)

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2024 11:54 AM

Windows 7, where iOS 17 works perfectly, is from 2009!! and it is: Windows!!

How does iOS 17 not work in El Capitan from 2015!! this is: Apple!!!!?

That is nonsense with our loyalty to Apple.

I transferred the iTunes Folder to Windows and my synchronization works perfectly with Microsoft!!!!...

Will Apple work in partnership with Microsoft?.... If Steve Jobs were there, he surely wouldn't like this...

Apple must RESPECT the customer and be considerate of all the information that we have dependent on our Mac and iPhone EQUIPMENT - designed by them. I have hundreds of CDs that I paid for and they are digitized, in addition to iTunes purchases, ALL blocked by Apple. Any update must give priority to the content on these machines!!! (The same thing happened to me with Final Cut Pro! When I updated Mountain Lion for El Capitan, I can never continue working on the movies I was creating! TOTAL disrespect... If I need to work on or open a file created in Word with Window XP (2001), I can do it perfectly with Windows 10!!!, the Document is the IMPORTANT thing!!).

What is this expensive chipset for? To update a system or to serve and "improve" our daily lives?

Gentlemen of Apple, the REAL VALUES are wrong in your updates.

76 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2024 11:54 AM in response to Jon DS

Windows 7, where iOS 17 works perfectly, is from 2009!! and it is: Windows!!

How does iOS 17 not work in El Capitan from 2015!! this is: Apple!!!!?

That is nonsense with our loyalty to Apple.

I transferred the iTunes Folder to Windows and my synchronization works perfectly with Microsoft!!!!...

Will Apple work in partnership with Microsoft?.... If Steve Jobs were there, he surely wouldn't like this...

Apple must RESPECT the customer and be considerate of all the information that we have dependent on our Mac and iPhone EQUIPMENT - designed by them. I have hundreds of CDs that I paid for and they are digitized, in addition to iTunes purchases, ALL blocked by Apple. Any update must give priority to the content on these machines!!! (The same thing happened to me with Final Cut Pro! When I updated Mountain Lion for El Capitan, I can never continue working on the movies I was creating! TOTAL disrespect... If I need to work on or open a file created in Word with Window XP (2001), I can do it perfectly with Windows 10!!!, the Document is the IMPORTANT thing!!).

What is this expensive chipset for? To update a system or to serve and "improve" our daily lives?

Gentlemen of Apple, the REAL VALUES are wrong in your updates.

Nov 2, 2023 6:53 AM in response to Jon DS

Frustratingly, this has happened to me also, no warning when updating my iPhone to iOS 17 that it will no longer connect to older Macs running older software. When iPhone 13 (iOS17) is connected, my Mac (10.12.6) tries to run a Software Update as below:

but that fails and gives the following error:

Not sure why it offers a software update only for it to fail?

I do hope Apple produces a software fix for this soon, so those of us who are still running older Mac software can update iTunes to connect with newer iPhones running the latest iOS.

I will provide this feedback to Apple Support:

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Dec 5, 2023 2:24 PM in response to TC2301

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/461301/mac-os-10-13-6-and-newer-mobile-devices-not-working-with-itunes-12-8-3-1-mobiled/

i followed the instructions on this post. iphone 12 mini on ios 17, and my early 2013 retina macbook pro on high sierra.

i downloaded a few of the xcode 15 betas. i'm not even sure which one i opened, there's 15 beta 2, 15.1 beta 2, 15.1 beta 3. i wonder if the non beta would also work.

i unzipped it, went to show package contents, and followed to:

xcode-beta.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/MobileDevice.pkg

and ran that package, as the above instructions stated.

i quit itunes, unplugged the phone, reopened itunes, plugged the phone in, and now it's there.

Oct 5, 2023 7:09 AM in response to TC2301

I wish there was a way to find the answer to your question and similar questions. Instead,people want to scold you for running old software. Many of us have valid reasons for using older software (I keep a High Sierra machine specifically for iTunes and and older version of Numbers; I have a newer laptop that has Music since iTunes isn't supported and I detest the newer Numbers UI that pretends its a phone).

I'll have to assume that iTunes 12 and iOS 17 aren't compatable, sadly.

Nov 1, 2023 2:15 PM in response to Jon DS

Apple phone support weren't sure if it could be resolved. Helpful, but unsure.

After trying what they suggested (didn't work) I jumped in feet first and downloaded the iOS16 IPSW from another site (caution!). Attempting to restore to that version using a newer Mac just gives the message that its blocked. Seems that once you've installed iOS17 thats it, you're screwed if you rely on an older Mac 10.12.6/iTunes12.8.2.3 version to update music/create back-ups. Weirdly Photo's still works for my updated phone on Sierra 10.12.6.

My iMac that has been working perfectly for 10+ years has now been disconnected from my phone without any warning being given that this might happen if I upgraded my phone iOS. To say the least I'm ****** off!

Nov 27, 2023 2:13 PM in response to Jakojako87

Jakojako87 wrote:

I'm having this problem too. How frustrating!!
Imac mid 2010 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Itunes 12.8.3.1
Iphone 11 Pro - IOS 17.0.1

I found this thread which looks like it solves the problem, but it seems too advanced for me really!
Maybe someone else can make use of it:

Link: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/461301/mac-os-10-13-6-and-newer-mobile-devices-not-working-with-itunes-12-8-3-1-mobiled

You shouldn't have to do anything that complicated.

Apple should post updated versions of iTunes for Macs and for Windows at the download pages off of the https://www.apple.com/itunes/ site right away.

Apple should also document the requirements to manage each version of iOS – not indirectly, on Technical Specifications pages for new iPhones (though that information should be there, too), but in any reasonable place where people are likely to need it, and to look for it.

It's insane that people are having to try to "read the tea leaves" to figure out what's supported, what isn't, and how to make what IS supported, actually work.

P. S. – I wouldn't bother with the workaround in that StackExchange thread. Trying to get the update to iTunes, even if you have to pull out your hair to do it, seems a LOT easier.

Nov 29, 2023 1:16 AM in response to Jon DS

Jon DS wrote:

This thread is about Sierra (and iTunes 12.8.2.3 - the latest possible) not issues with High Sierra. Please create your own thread as you’re confusing the issue. Appreciated.

Sorry about that.

I believe the answer with regards to managing an iPhone that is running iOS 17, using Sierra, is that you can't. If you look at the Technical Specifications for the iPhone 15, which ships with iOS 17, they don't mention Sierra.

The Technical Specifications for the iPhone 13 and 14 (which are still on sale), also don't mention Sierra. That is, they don't now. If you look back at an archived copy of the iPhone 14 specifications from a year ago, you will see that "macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 through macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later" used to be the system requirement. That would have included Sierra, using iTunes 12.8 or later.

Now you can't use Sierra to manage new iPhone 14s, at least not officially. What changed about the iPhone 14? iOS 17 came out.

iPhone 14 Technical Specifications – Wayback Machine (11/29/2022)

iPhone 14 Technical Specifications – Apple Support site

Hard to escape the conclusion that with iOS 17, Apple dropped support for using a Mac that is running Sierra to do iTunes-based syncing.

Sep 28, 2023 2:46 PM in response to TC2301

Hey there TC2301,

We want to be upfront and let you know that using a nine year old Mac will affect things, such as compatibility with new features/updates/apps/etc. This will be something you'll need to keep in mind going forward while using your current Mac.

With the above in mind, this article shows what to do next as you're not seeing your iPhone in iTunes: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad Please keep in mind that the steps include testing another computer, along with listing 'contacting Apple Support' as the last step.

Cheers!

Nov 2, 2023 8:05 AM in response to ddkwilson

I found this from Apple online:

If you continue to see this message, or if the installation fails:

It does seem as though the phone should work with High Sierra...

Nov 5, 2023 3:02 AM in response to liquidchild00

Good news! I am still having issues connecting my phone with High Sierra and the latest possible ITunes update. I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro and iPhone 11. My error message claims it won’t download due to a “network problem”. I hate to admit an emotional relationship to technology, but I really love my 2011MBP with the cd drive and the variety of ports. I have changed the battery twice and the hard drive once. I know there must be a simple solution out there somewhere.

Nov 26, 2023 3:10 PM in response to TC2301

If anyone knows of a fix please share! My interaction with Apple indicated that they have no interest in helping Mac users with older systems. iTunes is no longer supported and you cannot revert your iPhone to iOS 16.

I have been a loyal Mac user for well over 20 years and despite updating to iOS17.1.1 successfully via iTunes, iTunes no longer recognizes my phone - even though apple Photos app on the same computer does. Built in obsolescence has become a major issue with Apple.

I’m running OSX 10.13.6 and iTunes 12.8.3.1.

I updated to iOS 17.1.1 via iTunes (iPhone SE 2020)

Nov 26, 2023 3:56 PM in response to polymorph23

My impression is that iOS 17 raised the bar. If you look at the Technical Specifications for any of the iPhone-15-family phones that shipped with iOS 17, this suggests that

• You can't manage an iPhone that is running iOS 17 using a Mac running El Capitan or Sierra
  • You should be able to manage an iPhone that is running iOS 17 using a Mac running High Sierra or Mojave, or a PC running Windows, but you may need a newer version of iTunes

It doesn't look to me like the iTunes downloads at

iTunes - Apple

have been updated … but maybe the link in the iPhone 15 Technical Specifications lead to the right version.

Is iOS 17 compatible with itunes 12.8.2.3 under macOS Sierra 10.12.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.