iPhone calendar spam

How can I delete spam calendar invites? The spammers send the invite to my e-mail address and it automatically loads into my calendar. I don’t want to “Decline” because then they’ll know it’s an active email address. And I don’t see a way to delete the invites. I’m using an iPhone 12 Pro, running iOS 16.6.1. There are no “Subscribed Calendars” to delete in Settings, and no random Calendars in the Calendars list.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 8:27 AM

This is how I was able to delete mine. I’m not sure if you need to do it in this order but this worked for me. I opened the calendar app on the iPhone and went to the first day the spam event popped up. I long pressed the even on the day (don’t click the link) and it gave me the option to “cut.” Once I did that, it greyed the events out but they were still on my calendar. I then long pressed again (on a different day, if that matters) but this time it gave me the option to delete. I hit delete and now they’re gone and haven’t come back so far. I kept declining before trying this and it wasn’t doing anything so happy this work but still annoyed that this can happen

117 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2023 8:27 AM in response to Melbo_Baggins

This is how I was able to delete mine. I’m not sure if you need to do it in this order but this worked for me. I opened the calendar app on the iPhone and went to the first day the spam event popped up. I long pressed the even on the day (don’t click the link) and it gave me the option to “cut.” Once I did that, it greyed the events out but they were still on my calendar. I then long pressed again (on a different day, if that matters) but this time it gave me the option to delete. I hit delete and now they’re gone and haven’t come back so far. I kept declining before trying this and it wasn’t doing anything so happy this work but still annoyed that this can happen

Sep 26, 2023 9:19 AM in response to Melbo_Baggins

I have the same type of device with the same iOS version as you described. I also ran into trouble with deleting spam invitations, but appear to have been successful. First - I went through settings to make sure I (or my children) hadn't inadvertently suscribed to a spam calendar (there were none). Then, I went into outlook and cleared the junk folder for any email accounts I had (this deleted one of the spam invitations). Finally, in the calendar app, I performed a long press on the spam event and selected "cut"...that seems to have cleared them without having to decline the invitation (and in doing so, confirm that this was a valid email address, which would have surely invited additional spam events).

Oct 31, 2023 7:22 PM in response to Melbo_Baggins

I found how to delete completely!! Go to your Microsoft Outlook account through the web browser. Then from there click on your outlook calendar. Find the event the first day it was added click the event then click delete event. It will remove it 100%. This took me hours to figure out, but after reading a ton of things and getting nowhere I brainstormed with my husband and this is all we could think was left to do and it worked!!

Sep 30, 2023 8:37 PM in response to Melbo_Baggins

I'm having the exact same problem after upgrading to iOS 17x. This comes from the sync between Mail calendar invites to the Calendar app.

The best thing to do to secure yourself is to remove all your accounts from the built-in Mail app and use the individul mail apps, if they're non-iCloud apps.

If you decide to keep your account or have iCloud mail, make sure you turn off notifications to declined calendar invites- Settings --> Calendar --> Toggle off 'Show Invitee Declines'.

Also, you can block the sender.

Regardless, Apple is supposed to be more secure than Android, and this feature makes users more exposed. This is a security flaw that has a potential to exploited easily.

Sincerely,

A security-minded IT Admin

Dec 6, 2023 11:59 PM in response to Melbo_Baggins

Had this recently and none of the above worked. So, I’ve found the following two options to work;

1) Delete the associated email account in settings; mail; accounts; delete account- then re-add account

2) open emails and try search the invite title/number of whatever it appears in calendar and delete email and you’ll find it deletes calendar event.

these are my two proven ways to sort out these pesky spam events.

Good luck!

Oct 7, 2023 2:32 PM in response to Melbo_Baggins

I have this exact problem also. And I’ve tried all the frikkin work around. And even searched the specific emails in my inbox to block the addresses. But some of them are not coming from an email that I can specifically find. So no way to block the contact. And I don’t want the invites sitting there so I declined them. This only started after the iOS 17 update.

iPhone calendar spam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.