some iCloud data isn't syncing

Just upgraded from iPhone 14pro (ios 17) to iPhone 15 pro (ios 17.0.2) and set up the new phone via icloud backup. All data loaded in except for my messages, health data, and keychain/passwords. I get an alert in settings

`Some iCloud data isn't syncing. Your end-to-end encrypted data stored in iCloud can't be accessed on this device. It includes saved passwords and data from Health and Maps. Verify your account information to resume syncing.`

When clicking resume syncing, I enter the passcode for the phone and get a new popup to reset end-to-end encrypted data which I do not want to do so I don't lose that data. I have other trusted devices on my account that can access the data (at least the messages as far as I can see, I can't see health data on mac).

I tried wiping the phone and setting it up again from the backup, entering the 6 digit code sent to my trusted mac when logging in and I was able to get messages to load in but still none of the other data and I still get the same notification in settings. I've spoken with 5 advisors at this point who all told me my only option is to reset the data, aka delete it. Not sure if there is any other way? I have multiple trusted devices, the correct login info, and can see that the data is present in icloud, just can't be synced to the new phone.

Are there any other ways to verify the account information for icloud on the phone so that the end to end encrypted data can remain in tact and sync to this phone?

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 8:12 AM

"Under settings I had a notification that some of my data wasn’t syncing,

and when I clicked resume sync I got the pop up that I must resent end

to end encrypted data"

I did not get this popup. The spinny thing to the right spun for a while and then stopped. The error message remains on the settings screen.

Similar questions

98 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 8:12 AM in response to ktc97

"Under settings I had a notification that some of my data wasn’t syncing,

and when I clicked resume sync I got the pop up that I must resent end

to end encrypted data"

I did not get this popup. The spinny thing to the right spun for a while and then stopped. The error message remains on the settings screen.

Nov 8, 2023 12:13 PM in response to ktc97

Fixed for me. I also had this problem, with the message "Some iCloud data isn't syncing, etc.......Verify your account information to resume syncing" I clicked on the "resume syncing" link, got the spinning ball and then nothing. I noticed others on this thread had "reset" the phone with mixed results. I was trying to Verify my Account, so went to Settings, then clicked on my name, went to the bottom and clicked "sign out". The system logged me out of iCloud. I then signed back in, the error message disappeared and I now have access to all iCloud data. So glad I didn't have to spend hours on the phone with tech support.

Dec 14, 2023 9:53 AM in response to ktc97

Currently, it seems something is really messed up:

1) Some iCloud data isn't syncing. Your end-to-end encrypted data stored in iCloud can't be accessed on this device --> press button for fix, it's just loading for 2-3 minutes and then just go back to the previous screen.

2) in icloud Passwords and Messages is deactivated. Health is shown as activated, but when I click on it, then on the submenu it's deactivated. Trying to activate --> unknown error.

3) Find My Network. I can turn on Find my phone, but the Find my Network won't turn on ---> Click the switch for turn on --> your account security must be higher -> next --> updating Apple ID --> loading circle and nothing happens.

I'm out of ideas on what to do and still hope it's related to some server issues on Apple's side ...

Oct 6, 2023 6:44 AM in response to MichiGreen

I was getting the Security Key prompt across all of my devices (ipad, watch, iphone, imac and mbp) -- and following along this thread, I erased all content and settings from the ipad...and lost everything (health, fitness, wallet cards, etc.).

Getting things set back up, I've had to re-set all AirTags and my airpods registered to me...they did not automatically reconnect when I reset and signed in.

So frustrating...years of health and fitness data lost. And now my messages still aren't syncing to my iphone the way they used to.

I've done about 5 hours of calls with tech support, submitted logs from all devices, and screen recordings to show the issue...and Apple said no one else had this issue.

Oct 4, 2023 6:13 PM in response to zaphiro

Sorry - to clarify when I got the pop up that I must reset my end to end encrypted data I pressed continue. Pressing this did not erase any settings on the phone, but I am told it resets the data that the end to end encrypted data uses to decrypt. I was worried doing this would in fact erase the end to end encrypted data (health, keychain passwords etc) but I was assured it wouldn’t and in a worst case scenario any lost data can always be recovered in iCloud. When I pressed continue, the data in the health app slowly started to load in and my keychain also started loading

Dec 14, 2023 1:44 PM in response to ForSchurr

I did this but had an issue turning on password and keychains, it also kept freezing.

What worked for me was actually changing my password pin from 4 digits to 6.

After that changed, iCloud let me turn on the password and keychains, and the reset end to end encryption popped up (never got that pop up before). After clicking reset (health and all other data were fine), it finally let me resume data sync.

Hope this helps

Dec 14, 2023 11:37 PM in response to ktc97

I had the same problem here as well, what I did was, when you press the 'Resume Data Sync', it will ask for your passcode (I have tried at least 10 times before this message popped up, I think you might need to wait for a quite while), after put in my passcode, I left the phone overnight, until the next morning, then the message 'Reset End-to-End Encrypted Data' pop up. and you pick 'continue'. Then everything is fine.

The message 'Reset End-to-End Encrypted Data' might take quite a long time to pop up.

So ktc97 is correct!

Jan 11, 2024 11:30 PM in response to ktc97

I have had the same issue with an iPhone 13. I took it to the Apple Store where their Tech and Genius gurus shrugged their shoulders and said 'It's a software problem' and that a factory reset is the only answer. This advice proved incorrect. To me it seemed illogical, so I did not do a full factory reset as I wanted to keep my data.

The solution proved simple but a little time consuming. The following steps solved my problem.

1. Get all your Apple devices (phones, iPads, Mac's, iPods, Apple Watch, anything that uses iCloud
  2. Run updates on every device to the latest version the device will hold.
  3. Using a browser, log into iCloud on each device (on the web, not via the app/os.)
  4. Using the app/os iCloud connection, sign out of iCloud on each device (keeping the browser connection active)
  5. Sign back into iCloud using the app/os on each device
  6. Run backup to iCloud on each device
  7. Remember - 'Each Device'

This worked for me. Everything synched, everything backed up, no errors, no data loss.

This is the first time I have ever posted anything but having gone through trying to get help and getting nothing from anyone, I wanted to spare someone else the pain and 'data-loss anxiety' that I know you can get when tech seems to fall apart.

Have a nice day.

some iCloud data isn't syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.