📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Procreate on Ipad 9th gen

Is the ipad 9th generation not great for the procreate app. I just started to dive into procreate intensely and all purchased course to gain more insight but Now that I’m using more of procreate features it is not flowing as smoothly….or perhaps I didn’t notice before. Still it’s very wonky and sometimes won’t even let me draw a simple line. ipad is up to date, I’ve got more storage then I need, procreate app is updated.

Yesterday I tried to practice a lesson plan and the canvas was was shuttering and all the features are frozen. I deleted the app and downloaded it again thinking maybe I hit something…of course all my work was removed (deleted) and the problem still continues:(

Also could anyone advise on what the prefect Ipad for this app and adobe cloud would be at most affordable and largest screen.

I wanted to wait for the newest ipad to roll out but i don’t think that I would need that for what little i know…but i was thinking it would be a good investment if this is a skill that I consider to maintain. suggestions please and thanks

Thanks in advance for helping

cheers, treesa

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 9:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 9:40 AM

The iPad that's best for your - and your available budget - can only be determined by you.

All current iPad models are capable of running the current iPadOS Operating System - this being iPadOS 17.x. All iPad models have broadly the same core capabilities. Models essentially differ in their ultimate performance and physical attributes. iPad Pro models use FaceID for biometric user-authentication, while others use TouchID.

You can compare iPad models here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

The iPad9 is the current "basic" entry-level iPad. The iPads Pro are the opposite end of the scale - top of the range, with cutting edge capabilities and hardware. Between these two extremes is the iPad Air5, this model offering a mid-range high performance option. The new iPad10 is cheaper than the iPad Air - and differs in position of the front-facing camera. The iPad mini6 is perhaps an entirely different proposition - offering a smaller form factor and other differences in hardware and ultimate capability.

All current models of iPad support either the first or second generation Apple Pencil. For handwritten notes and sketches, this will be relevant. Ensure that you choose the correct Apple Pencil for your chosen iPad - as they are not interchangeable. Here is the definitive compatibility list:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

iPad models that support the second generation Apple Pencil are paired and charged using the magnetic charging dock on the edge of the iPad. This greatly simplifies charging of the Pencil - as the Pencil is kept optimally charged whenever it is not being actively used. The second generation Pencil has some additional features - aiding drawing capabilities. First generation Apple Pencils must be connected to the host iPad, using a charging cable, to pair with or charge from the host iPad.

Also perhaps consider that the iPad Pro 12.9" model is the only iPad to use the miniLED backlit XDR display. This display is not only the largest in the iPad range, but is also the most power-efficient and offers greatest contrast and brightness of any model iPad - and also includes reference modes for professional colour grading. Also note that the current iPad Pro models with 1TB/2TB storage options have 16GB RAM, whereas the others have "only" 8GB RAM (this still being greater than other iPad models).

Whichever iPad model you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as your budget might reasonably allow - as internal storage (and other hardware) cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult. Whilst I and others cannot make definitive recommendations for your personal needs, objectively I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage, 512GB and higher having a greater margin for growth.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Also consider the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Aside from the obvious Cellular functionality, only WiFi+Cellular models include GNSS/GPS location capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. 

Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model provides access to precise location services, but does not commit you to using Cellular connections. WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GNSS/GPS functions at all.

Many owners choose a WiFi+Cellular model in preference to WiFi Only - if only for the GNSS/GPS precision location functions - whether or not they have any intention to use Cellular network connectivity.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2023 9:40 AM in response to Missintreesing

The iPad that's best for your - and your available budget - can only be determined by you.

All current iPad models are capable of running the current iPadOS Operating System - this being iPadOS 17.x. All iPad models have broadly the same core capabilities. Models essentially differ in their ultimate performance and physical attributes. iPad Pro models use FaceID for biometric user-authentication, while others use TouchID.

You can compare iPad models here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

The iPad9 is the current "basic" entry-level iPad. The iPads Pro are the opposite end of the scale - top of the range, with cutting edge capabilities and hardware. Between these two extremes is the iPad Air5, this model offering a mid-range high performance option. The new iPad10 is cheaper than the iPad Air - and differs in position of the front-facing camera. The iPad mini6 is perhaps an entirely different proposition - offering a smaller form factor and other differences in hardware and ultimate capability.

All current models of iPad support either the first or second generation Apple Pencil. For handwritten notes and sketches, this will be relevant. Ensure that you choose the correct Apple Pencil for your chosen iPad - as they are not interchangeable. Here is the definitive compatibility list:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

iPad models that support the second generation Apple Pencil are paired and charged using the magnetic charging dock on the edge of the iPad. This greatly simplifies charging of the Pencil - as the Pencil is kept optimally charged whenever it is not being actively used. The second generation Pencil has some additional features - aiding drawing capabilities. First generation Apple Pencils must be connected to the host iPad, using a charging cable, to pair with or charge from the host iPad.

Also perhaps consider that the iPad Pro 12.9" model is the only iPad to use the miniLED backlit XDR display. This display is not only the largest in the iPad range, but is also the most power-efficient and offers greatest contrast and brightness of any model iPad - and also includes reference modes for professional colour grading. Also note that the current iPad Pro models with 1TB/2TB storage options have 16GB RAM, whereas the others have "only" 8GB RAM (this still being greater than other iPad models).

Whichever iPad model you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as your budget might reasonably allow - as internal storage (and other hardware) cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult. Whilst I and others cannot make definitive recommendations for your personal needs, objectively I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage, 512GB and higher having a greater margin for growth.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Also consider the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Aside from the obvious Cellular functionality, only WiFi+Cellular models include GNSS/GPS location capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. 

Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model provides access to precise location services, but does not commit you to using Cellular connections. WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GNSS/GPS functions at all.

Many owners choose a WiFi+Cellular model in preference to WiFi Only - if only for the GNSS/GPS precision location functions - whether or not they have any intention to use Cellular network connectivity.

Procreate on Ipad 9th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.