How to copy and paste as plain text on iOS?

Googled such methods :

In Mail on iOS 12, I use the "Share > Copy" trick:
1. Paste formatted
2. Select the just pasted text and in the context menu swipe right and tap on "Share..."
3. In the Share sheet, tap on "Copy". This copies as plain text!
4. Tap still selected text to get the context menu again
5. In the context menu tap on "Paste" to replace the selected, formatted text with its plain text representation
Still (too) many hoops to jump through but at least you don't need to switch between apps. The "Share > Copy" trick might not be available in other apps, though.

Is it an option to setup this in Settings ?

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 3:04 PM

I never seen anyone who using iphone with keyboard

16 replies

Sep 27, 2023 9:12 AM in response to sergejs65

Unfortunately does not work for me in the mail app. The text is still formatted after pasting but in slightly different format e.g. now all is bold (original text had only a bold title).

This is indeed very annoying. There is no option to paste text completely unformatted. I struggle again and again to get pasted text formatted in the desired way. Even worse when I try to decrease the font size. Sometimes it gets bigger instead of smaller...

My workaround / solution:

Paste the text into the Notes app. There it is pasted unformatted.

Now you can copy it again and paste it e.g. into a new mail, also unformatted.

Oct 6, 2023 12:25 AM in response to LALawyer2

Thank you LALawyer2 for your tip but this works only on MacOS (as you have written in your separate answer).

The idea for a solution on iOS using an additional shortcut is not bad, but - be honest - quite cumbersome. My workaround to paste copy text firstly in the Notes App (will be pasted unformatted) then copy from there and paste e.g. in a new mail works easier for me.

Dec 5, 2023 8:59 AM in response to sergejs65

I paste the copied text into a TextEdit document, then change the format: TextEdit > Make Plain Text. Then I copy that text and paste anywhere. TextEdit is another of the free macOS apps. One aspect of this app is that if you quit it with Command-Q, it closes all the open documents and reopens them next time you open the app. In this way you always have a plain text document available to remove styling on copied text.

How to copy and paste as plain text on iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.